Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

How much abuse can a transom take?

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Tystix, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Tystix

Tystix Senior Refuge Member

A couple weeks ago, I bottomed out on some river rock for about 20 yards and I noticed my pump took a bit of a beating. The intake grates were all mangled and pretty certain I have to get an impeller job done here before I take her back out.
    Just thinking about it makes me cringe for my transom as well.
    I looked all around the outside for any cracks and I couldn't find any
    Still looked pretty solid and intact. Just watching it bounce back there while we were skipping across the rocks didnt look to good.
    My boat is an 2001 1866 smoker with a 100 Yamaha pump. Which is a lot of weight. Actually thinking about a newer 80 pump.

Anybody ever rip a motor of while river running?

2. Mike0311

Mike0311 Senior Refuge Member

I saw a guy rip a motor off a fiberglass bass boat one time. But he hit a log at about 30.

Tystix likes this.
  3. Bullet21XD

Bullet21XD Elite Refuge Member

More than likely one or more components of your motor will go before the transom. Every impact adds up with the cast material they use for mounts,etc.

Tystix likes this.
  4. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

I have a heavy mud boat. I have hit some crazy stuff and no visible damage to the transom.

Tystix likes this.
  5. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

I've seen a couple motors jump off the transom when the motor was not bolted/screwed down correctly and something was hit, and I've seen some transom damage, but never a catastrophic failure. That said, I'm sure it has occurred

freefall and Tystix like this.
  6. Tystix

Tystix Senior Refuge Member

I might end up replacing the lower unit entirely. The push rod that hold all the fins in place has very little material holding it in place from all the hits the lower end has taken.
    I think if I drill it out, one side may still be okay but the other I'm not too sure of. I'll have it looked over when I get the impeller serviced.