How old is your duck boat? Let's hear from the 'old' ones.

Tuleman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Retired my old 1972 12 ft StarCraft a couple years ago, but here's one I built in 1986. It's a Barnegat Bay type, bought the plans from Glen-L. Modified it, made it a little shorter (11'6" instead of 12") and made it 56 inches wide instead of 48, lastly I beefed up the skin and transom. 3/8" plywood, 1" x 4" mahogany "keel", 1" chines, and transom, pine carlings with plywood backing will take a 15 hp. Fiberglass mat bottom, sides and deck are 3 layers of fiberglass cloth/epoxy.
View attachment 347212 View attachment 347213
Got to be top nomination for Uglyest Duck Rig Extant!
I love it!!! :tu

lf that's made from Glen-L plans, it must have been heavily modified. I can't find anything in my old Glen-L catalog that even remotely resembles the photos. :scratch

Last edited:

Phytoplankton

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Got to be top nomination for Uglyest Duck Rig Extant!
I love it!!!
lf that's made from Glen-L plans, it must have been heavily modified. I can't find anything in my old Glen-L catalog that even remotely resembles the photos. :scratch
Very heavily modified. As ugly as it looks it's actually pretty seaworthy, I've had it out in the North bay in 2 foot chop, just got to slow down and get the front end up. At rest, you can stand up in it and rock it side to side and there's no way it will flip or even take on water, except if a big boat wake comes by, then the wave will roll up the nose and stop at the splash rail in front. The only weird thing is it actually doesn't have a true keel and when turning at speed it slides sideways, that and when sitting the nose is about 3 inches above the water. But the boats only about 14 inches deep. Slap a 15 horse on it and it moves along pretty good!

JP

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
1657138630351.jpeg

Circa 1985, built by my late father.

Tuleman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
JP, you're the only guy I know who has more duckboats than I do...... :tu

Reactions: JP

Small Bore Hunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
A man at Reelfoot says “a man is entitled to as many boats as he wants”. He has 14 and he is not a guide. I have read where 4 is the perfect number of duck boats one needs. what are the 4?

daves

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Built in 1954 by my father from a kit. Have never been able to identify the company but I'm guessing from the midwest as he hunted the marshes of Lake Erie growing up. Its fiberglass cloth over marine plywood. It was in rough shape and I rehabbed it in 2013. I stripped it down to bare wood and re-glassed. I also very slightly modified the transom to go staight across. I've since added 1/2" poly half round to gunnels and keel for protection. Also have a layout style camo cover with doors. Boat is 12' long and about 40" wide. I have a 8 hp Evinrude for power which is plenty. Used to hunt Fishing Bay and Deal Island in late 60's before switching to a 13' Whaler. Unfortunately, its a barn queen lately!

duckboat1.JPG

Tuleman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Built in 1954 by my father from a kit. Have never been able to identify the company but I'm guessing from the midwest as he hunted the marshes of Lake Erie growing up. Its fiberglass cloth over marine plywood. It was in rough shape and I rehabbed it in 2013. I stripped it down to bare wood and re-glassed. I also very slightly modified the transom to go staight across. I've since added 1/2" poly half round to gunnels and keel for protection. Also have a layout style camo cover with doors. Boat is 12' long and about 40" wide. I have a 8 hp Evinrude for power which is plenty. Used to hunt Fishing Bay and Deal Island in late 60's before switching to a 13' Whaler. Unfortunately, its a barn queen lately!

View attachment 347460
That boat has some beautiful lines.

Tailfeathers

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Bear BBSBsm .jpg
Heres my Dad's 1980's Grumman 15' Jon Boat I added side decks, front deck and flip boards all around. There are wood battens that I slip Long Island cord grass under and then screw down , on the decks and flip boards. Thats a Krylon Camo paint job. In the foreground is a mid 1940's BBSB from the New Jersey shoreline. A bit rough, I sanded, re glassed some damaged areas, and added fiberglass/epoxy ribs where the original oak ones resembled shredded wheat. New paint job too.
Happy Girl....she likes both boats.