Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

How old is your waterfowl gun.

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by salthunter, May 2, 2021.

1. AppalachianHollers

AppalachianHollers Senior Refuge Member

Winchester SXP (“Black Shadow” with 3.5” chamber and 28” barrel). Bought it 5 years ago while on vacation in Florida from a BPS.

It was right after the recall from a slam-firing defect when the gun debuted as a replacement for the Mode 1300. As a result, a lot of brand new SXP’s were on the shelves and discounted heavily. In my mind the situation was like flying after 9/11: the best time to buy is after an over-correction.

Between the sale and opening a new (non-store) credit card with a cash-back on “first purchases” offer, I ended up only spending $75 of my own money for that gun.

Funny thing is, despite it being a perfect waterfowl setup, at the time I was only thinking of it as a 50-yard turkey gun.

2. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

I'll forever be grateful for worlds better luck with women than the POS early 1187 I once cursed myself with. And I'm an ugly bastage.

3. sfpenn

sfpenn Refuge Member

Opening weekend I shoot my son's 870 Supermag that is ~10 years old. After opening weekend I shoot my Beretta A400.

The posts about Cynergy's have me itching to go to the gun store. For years I shot a Browning Citori. My son complained that was too nice for a duck blind (and turkey blind). But I took real good care to make sure it was not being abused. When the SBE II first came out I bought one, but me and that gun did not get along. After a few years I sold it and bought my own 870 Supermag and used it until I broke down and bought the A400 3 years ago.

4. sfpenn

sfpenn Refuge Member

My guess is early to mid-70's because of the vent rib. I bought an 870 was I was 13 years old in 1972 and I don't think vent ribs were common yet.

5. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

If you like the Citori, tell your son children should only speak when spoken to.

6. quack1

quack1 Senior Refuge Member

Since I bought it in 1969, I'm pretty confidant in saying it wasn't made in the early to mid 70's:l I got a replacement barrel, wanted choke tubes when steel was made mandatory. The original 30" full choke barrel did have a rib, though.

7. Littleboots

Littleboots Senior Refuge Member

870 bought in 1981, SBE bought first delivered to gun store now SX-3 still shot 870 at least once a year for old memories

8. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Damn, you got one of the good Jammingtons.

9. Il. MudDuk

Il. MudDuk Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

She's never cared for loads under an ounce (cant eject or won't feed a new light load into the chamber) and has had a few shell extractors break. Whatever else I've replaced was in the name of preventative maintenance and not necessarily due to the gun being broken.
    The one thing that can and does hang up is apparently a "BB" in the safety will catch sometimes and not let me put the gun on "safe" for a while.

I love that gun.

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  10. egadwall

egadwall Elite Refuge Member

20 year old Browning Gold Hunter.