Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

How to catch a snapping turtle?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by PaulinKansas, Apr 4, 2021.

1. dog duck gun

dog duck gun Elite Refuge Member

It aint rocket science. Years ago we caught many from golf course ponds using a milk jug, about 2 feet of mason cord, a large hook with a piece of coat hanger cut and wrapped to form a leader on the hook. Bait with a chunk of beef. Usually next day you will have your snapper. Most times once hooked they will swim close to the bank to keep the jug from pulling on them. A short pole with a hook you can catch the line and pull it to you or simply grab the jug and pull the turtle to the bank. Thats when the real fun begins. As already mentioned channel locks, a large knife all have their uses to dispatch these critters. Keep your fingers away from that mouth. They can and will bite you even AFTER their head has been cut off. Excellent white meat when fried up golden brown

2. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

Have you considered removing the Xmas lights and garland from the bridge? The icicle lights may be working as an attractant of some sort....

ibfowl likes this.
  3. 10ga.crazy

10ga.crazy Senior Refuge Member

Hook and cord to a plastic jug with a chunk of meat, fish etc. Works every time! Stocking a pond with fish = drawing every fish eating critter there is including people. Its a job just keeping them all away!!

ibfowl likes this.
  4. spg

spg Senior Refuge Member

Back when I was a little guy my uncle trapped them for the local restaurant . He would let my shoot frogs from the pond by his house and we would go to the river and tie one end of the line to a branch and let the frog dangle on top of the water. Come back the next morning and have a turtle.

5. PaulinKansas

PaulinKansas Elite Refuge Member

Caught it. That's a 5 gallon bucket on the left.

20210405_200146.jpg

oleww, Out of focus, DaPutts and 7 others like this.
  6. homer

homer Refuge Member

D- shaped hoop net and a bait cage with frozen fish and frozen liver. Fish oil film on the water. The bait is put in frozen as not to spoil as fast. They don't care for rotten bait.

ibfowl likes this.
  7. nobands

nobands Elite Refuge Member

So now you need advice on how to butcher?

ibfowl likes this.
  8. nra4evr56

nra4evr56 Elite Refuge Member

call the turtle man.

ibfowl likes this.
  9. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

Set the line back. Bet there is more than one in there.

10. deepwater

deepwater New Member

My neighbor claimed he would feed them Wonder bread for a month before slaughter to cleanse them of the garbage food in their system. Kept them alive in a steel livestock watering tank. Just something he said, I thought it was interesting.