Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

How to catch a snapping turtle?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by PaulinKansas, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Out of focus

Out of focus Elite Refuge Member

Looks like a turtle sauce picante is in the near future.

2. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife Elite Refuge Member

It's not exactly migration, but they do move during breeding season.

Most ours move within waterways tho. Our terrain ain't real conducive to a turtle. Easy for them to follow drainages, they go up and back all the creeks from ponds to ponds. Not uncommon to find one as wide as the creek he is in.

3. bufflehead1

bufflehead1 Senior Refuge Member

Without a doubt.

4. JDH

JDH Refuge Member

I remember seeing one walking across a field once with about 6" of dirt on its back with grass growing out of it. It was right as it was starting to warm up.

ibfowl likes this.
  5. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

When i was in college, I cooked in a restaurant that served Turtle Sauce Piquant every first tuesday of each month. We would sell out nearly everyday ( 100+ orders). folks would started arriving for lunch at about 10:45 on those days ( we opened at 11:00).

Out of focus likes this.
  6. fishnfool

fishnfool Elite Refuge Member

No idea why but I've always appreciated turtles...I often kept a few as pets from childhood through college (my roommate kicked my 20 gallon tank clear off the top of our closet when he was "entertaining" a lady in his bunk..woke up the entire dorm).

I've eaten a few snappers and admit they taste pretty good (especially the backstraps), but come nesting season I'm the idiot bleeding heart slamming on the brakes to pull turtles off the roads.

Yeah, I know they eat baby ducks, but that's nature's way. I'm under no illusions it makes a bit of difference in hunting success.

Squaller and ibfowl like this.
  7. oleww

oleww Elite Refuge Member

Yea they move around. Spring time, little later in April, we’ll see them crossing roads.

You know these turtles can climb a chain link fence? You can’t keep them out, got to keep catching them.

8. SEKhunter

SEKhunter Senior Refuge Member Supporting Member

By the tail, just watch your hands

ibfowl likes this.
  9. DanL

DanL Senior Refuge Member

Well, that limits my high explosives option.

ibfowl likes this.
  10. bird junkie

bird junkie Elite Refuge Member

I have caught them at over 1100’ elevation 500’ from nearest drainage going up hill heading away from the drainage. They can cover some ground. Always like to flush and water change couple days before processing after cutting head off. I pour boiling water over the belly then slice through sides of belly plate an between skin to top shell then take a pair of dykes to cut the body loose from top shell then skin and quarter. Remove meat from inside shell ect. Also cut the head off tight to it so not to waste neck meat.