How to lead a goose

Ruggedsportsmen

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Okay hold up....refrain from roasting me please :l . Let me start by saying I am not a goose hunter, I have never went strictly hunting for geese. I have only shot one rogue snow in my life as it swung into my duck decoys and its never happened since. Now once in a while I do catch the occasional flock flying directly over me within 40 yards. I carry a few goose loads with me for this occasion(TSS #7). This happens about once or twice a year just out of luck. Here is what I am asking: The very few times geese will come into range, it is always when its windier than most days, I am sure you goose hunters have a reason for this. They are flying super slow(or looks like it). Every time this has happened it looks as if they are barely flying forward and even after I shoot it looks almost like I have time to reload and shoot again :l. What is the technique on leading these birds that look like they're basically hovering? Is it an illusion? I have tried aiming directly at them and just in front of the lips. Id say more times than not they've been passing around 40 yards straight above. Unfortunately this does not happen often enough for me to figure this out. But I know my goose loads and pattern is more than sufficient at 40 yards.

salthunter

Reaction score
I learned to point-shoot when I was a kid.
In a few day's time earlier this season I shot 22 geese in a row and only found where one pellet had touched the edge of the breast. heads and necks only.
Most of my geese this year were shot under 25 yards.
My buddy that we hunted snow geese with last spring used to make the comment "shoot the cigar out of their mouth"
I used to have a very fast swing, and would often pull a trigger just as I pass the bird's head.

My first snow goose trip most of the geese truly were hovering straight over us about 30 - 35 yds. No lead needed just shoot the cigar.

Last edited:

creedsduckman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Perrty simple, if just past the bill wasnt enough. Double it next time.
And if that doesn't work keep increasing until one falls.

If it is a true straight overhead shot start behind the bird and swing through until it disappears, then pull the trigger. It should fold. If you can still see the bird you will miss it everytime. I use to hunt with a guy that loves that shot and is very good at it. I'm not as good at it because my mind can't handle me not seeing the bird.

Dr Swane

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Imagine a full balled up fist at the end of your barrel, that’s usually the minimum lead for this type of shot/speed,
BCABF1D3-B0A4-48B2-BD88-308DD03ACC97.jpeg
on either side of the swing, aim under and in front of a 40yard crosser or quartering away.

20mph cross shooting winds^^

hunt'ngreen

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Like said, they are going faster than you think, being bigger, they might be farther than you think. I always tell guys starting out to smoke trail the birds.. act like its leaving a smoke trail, swing thru the bird, get some air in front of it, shoot, keep the swing going. Food for thought, at 30 mph. a bird is doing 44 feet per second, 45 mph., 66 feet per second.

mrmallerd

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Swing with bird. Tail, Beak, Boom

Latest posts