Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

How to learn to call

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by Newgooser2020, Dec 25, 2020.

1. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

I have a wood Whisperer. Easiest blowing call I’ve ever tried. I blow a Foiles for long range calling but usually switch over to the much softer Whisperer as they get closer.

2. macarny

macarny Refuge Member

I bought 2 Wing Locks calls this year the long neck and the whisperer, I really like the long neck and the whisperer is great for when the birds are close or for smaller fields. I have 6 or7 other calls but the Wing Locks are what I use now

3. noweil

noweil Elite Refuge Member

I started hunting geese when flute calls were popular. I can not speak to how the Long Honker goose flutes are tuned now, but when Mick Lacey made the calls they were great. Easy to learn how to blow and they kill birds. Mick had an instructional cassette tape on blowing the call. I saw people learn to make good sounds on those calls in 20 minutes. I have a copy of the tape yet but most people do not have a tape player. I need to get it copied over to a cd or a flash drive.

4. illinideer

illinideer Refuge Member

I just started learning to call last fall the dvd bad grammer that the guys recommended is excellent in my opinion. Good instruction plus footage of geese doing the call he just demoed and then using it in the field. On youtube the field proven series are good as well and Big Sean's vid's are not bad either.
    The calls I have started with are Zink PC1,Buck Gardner Canadian Hammer,Tim Grounds Super Magnum poly carb and my late uncles Haydell H81 power honker.
    Justin

5. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

Good advice above. Hurry. Up and buy a call.Watch Youtube goose calling and teach yourself the basic Hrrrrrronk call. Easy to do. Blow from your diaphragm, (not your mouth) as if you are making steam on a mirror, (Hurrrrr)at one pace then add more pressure to make the call break in sound to the higher pitched (rrrronk???)
    You should start calling the next time you go hunting, especially when the geese are out there. Let the more experienced guys call them when in closer. Talk to your hunting buddies and work it out when its ok and not ok to call. Good luck.

6. IowaWaterfowler10

IowaWaterfowler10 Senior Refuge Member

As mentioned bad grammar, big Sean, and field proven is where I would start. Any of their calls would put you on the right track as well. If you can cluck and moan you can kill all the geese you want.

BirdJ and QuaaackerJack like this.