Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

How to Make Home-ECaller Step by Step

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by juviesoup, Feb 3, 2015.

1. hunting1

hunting1 Senior Refuge Member

Well the wrap and knot was easy and quick. Not pretty and I'm sure there might be a better way but so far it works. Actually I just lean it up against some cornstalks as that is all I ever hunt in. Grass or beans would be a little more challenging

2. ten times better

ten times better Senior Refuge Member

electric fence rod bent twice ,speaker pointed at the ground and a shell decoy overit on the rod yrs ago someone on here said he pointed his to bounce off the ground. it also keeps the snow and rain off

3. Go Drahthaars

Go Drahthaars New Member

Can someone make recommendations for outdoor speakers. I want to add two of them to my caller to use in conjunction with the horn type. Also what speaker wire to use. Thanks,

4. Juvie Juke Box

Juvie Juke Box Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

We push the wire into the tabs then zip tie them to the brackets in a few different places, other than that really haven't had issues with them ripping out. and if they do those tabs dont mess the wire up so its a simple reconnect at least. We've tried all kinds of stuff and this seems to be the simplest and most effective.

5. Juvie Juke Box

Juvie Juke Box Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

https://www.amazon.com/BOSS-Audio-MR4-3B-Weatherproof-Speakers/dp/B00BTVSWWW

We've used these in the past when our other speakers were out of stock or on backorder in a bind and they seem to be solid good speakers. We buy our actual speakers direct in bulk, and its a different model than whats on amazon so I can't link those. Basically any outdoor rated speaker in the $35-$80/pair will work. As far as speaker wire goes, how is your caller setup to plug speakers in?

6. Drundel

Drundel Elite Refuge Member

I have mine in loops with bungee cords, so hopefully they spring out and then back in again and not do any real damage.

7. Go Drahthaars

Go Drahthaars New Member

1/4 inch 2 conductor phone plug is how the unit is set up for speaker plug in

8. jakyol

jakyol New Member

Does anyone have recommendations on amp wattage? I was looking at doing 2-4 speakers. What is the general consensus on horn speakers vs outdoor speakers or car speakers? It seems reading through here that the consensus is sound quality is more important than volume.

Thanks!

9. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

Amp wattage isn't as important as matching your speakers' ratings to the RMS rating of the amp channel. If you have an amp that puts out 20WRMS, use a speaker rated for 20W. If you oversize your speakers, you'll get clipping when you crank up the volume. I have a few amps that only put out about 10-12WRMS per channel, but they sound really good with plenty of volume because I selected efficient speakers. I also have a big amp that puts out 65WRMS per channel and run 4 30 or 40W power horns off it. That sucker screams if I crank it up but doesn't sound clean.

10. jakyol

jakyol New Member

Would a pair of 6.5" marine speakers be loud enough? I figure they would definitely sound better than horn speakers.