How was your Idaho waterfowl season?

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by salthunter, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Woodduck31

Woodduck31 Elite Refuge Member

I'm not so sure the surges in mallards I saw in the last few weeks wasn't a reverse migration. I saw that once before several years ago when we were shooting specs on CJ the end of season. Mallards showed up in spots in January this year and were gone within days, pretty weird stuff. I don't hunt a mallard rich area anyway, but there wasn't any consistency in mallard opportunities. Over the years the species I targeted was whatever species would cooperate and for years that was wigeon. 60% of our take for years was wigeon, but the numbers started to diminish and other than a few days this year we just didn't see many. We had a few years where goldeneye were king and that's what we targeted, I love decoying divers, I don't like to pass shoot. We've had redhead years, canvasback years and ringer years, but every year is different and I just go with the flow. This year as I've said was crazy for bluebills, but the three bird limit kind of stops you there. They are a blast to decoy and make some wicked noise when they are doing their thing. I went on my first goose hunt in 40 years a few weeks ago and even got a goose, that was kind of special. I've learned not to share any big success stories before the end of season which is just about an hour away as I write, too many internet scouters to do that. Now it's time to turn my attention to the Henry's Fork, it won't be long before we begin our migration to Ashton.

buckwonder.jpg

pickadrake and Duck-Slayer like this.
  2. Double Reed

Double Reed Senior Refuge Member

ED41B99C-AEBF-4AB4-90D8-55DC489C8C16.jpeg
    I had a great year for only access to public areas. I hope to have a new motor for rivers next year and open up more opportunities. Couple days if I could of shot straight it would have been 7 drake mallards.

Duck-Slayer likes this.
  3. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Well the ducks showed up
    Where I was hunting geese on Wednesday I saw a handfull of mallards . Yesterday a few hundred.
    Today I drove around fort Hall,.. many fields had well over 3,000 ducks nearly all mallards Most ducks Ive ever seen out there, of course days after season closed

pickadrake and Duck-Slayer like this.
  4. seal

seal Elite Refuge Member

Well...I am actually calm enough now to talk about last year lol. I have hunted ducks in Idaho for nearly 40 years. It was, by far, the worst year I have ever had for puddle ducks. Sure I shot some and had some good days, but far from what we are use to. The numbers were terrible.

BUT....I am like Don and am an opportunistic hunter so I switched gears the first of December. The divers and geese salvaged the season. Learned some new spots, techniques, and lots of fun with friends and family.

The reverse migration Don is talking about is very real IMO. We saw the same thing and became a hot topic of discussion amongst our group in January.

5. Blueblood

Blueblood Senior Refuge Member

Every year brings high hopes, and yes I have them again going into this year. I went scouting the area I am thinking of taking my girls for the youth opener. Absolutely no ducks, there were several flights of geese though. I sure hope this season doesn't follow the 2020 pattern of everything else.