California Flyway Forum Sponsors

How ya rating this one... odd year for sure...

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by mark seaters, Jan 31, 2021.

1. black&blueshoulder

black&blueshoulder Elite Refuge Member

VERY Happy with what my dog has matured into and become.
    She had a couple big days picking up for three of us and a couple big days picking up for three of us with her half sister, and several nice afternoons just her and I.
    Skipped most of first half to whelp and raise some babies we have high hopes for.
    Hunted with Dad 5 times and he got to help pile em a couple times.
    So rated as very productive and a season I would be very much looking forward to if you said next one would be on par with it.

2. HONKSRWORKN

HONKSRWORKN Elite Refuge Member

Waterfowling used to be about the only thing I looked forward to every year , I was a true duck a holic ... I learned to mount birds so I could do something with ducks till the season started even turned my own goose calls for a few years ... Used to really live for it ..
    That was Until about 4 years ago when we moved to No Cal , Ever since its been absolutely horrible .. First off , my favorite thing in the world is honker hunting before We moved to No Cal I Hunted Honks exclusively for 10 seasons , up in No Cal there are few and even fewer places to hunt them ..... So there's that , and I've found that even if you have a **** ton of decoys in the Rice , if you have NO Wind .... it sucks and those are they days I get to hunt it .. Then there's Refuges up here ... Joke
    I'd say my season was Pathetic if it weren't for a few good hunts in the NE zone it woulda been an epic failure , think I shot 2 maybe 3 boxes all season hunting at least once every weekend ... When you hunt and don't see anything to flare , it's not my fault
    Just outta high school a friend gave me the nickname of Bad luck .... Couldn't be more True ..

3. DMC

DMC Elite Refuge Member

The season started with a bang and at the end of November We were at an all time high for us in a rice blind. December came and left us amazed at how bad things could really get. Then came some awesome invites to target geese were I got to experiment with a few things that I wanted to try and learned a lot. The geese gods shined very well on us and piles of specks started to become the norm. The rice just trudged on through never getting good but giving me a season without one blank day. I got in 35 days in the field. I would say ducks was a 5 and geese was an 8. Hoping to shoot geese at least one more time this yr and all ready started prepping for next yr.

JRS and freefall like this.
  4. Jabird

Jabird Elite Refuge Member

I’d rate this season a 5. It would be much lower except for the fact that I got to hunt some new places and met some new people to share a blind with. This was also my pup’s first full season and it was a pleasure watching him put his training to the test. We’ve got some stuff to work on in the off-season but I was very pleased with his steadiness and improvement on marking multiple falls.

The birds never showed up in my area and mallard numbers were at an all time low. Also, I didn’t get to hunt with a number of people I normally share a blind with which was a bummer. I’m hoping to get under a few geese during the late season so there is still hope...

JRS likes this.
  5. Dakillaofnada

Dakillaofnada Elite Refuge Member

89B1F7FF-9479-4F86-AABA-A8057684CF34.jpeg

6. Specialbelly

Specialbelly Senior Refuge Member

The refuges are a joke yet thousands of birds are killed there :scratch

7. Turnkey

Turnkey Elite Refuge Member

A solid 7. Had some decent hunts from corn field mallards in Washington to snow goose beatdowns near Colusa.
    Would have been better if I could have made my trip to Alberta for a 3 day guided hunt I bought at a dinner last year.
    Hopefully the border will be open this fall and I can cross that off my bucket list.

WaterFoulHunter likes this.
  8. Aunt Betty

Aunt Betty Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Nein

9. pintails

pintails Senior Refuge Member

It definitely was an interesting year with ups and downs.
    The good: joined a new club which is a little more on the x than my old club and my bird average went up. Lucked out many times with a #1 draw at the club. Shot a banded bull sprig. Next weekend will be my sons first hunt.
    The Bad: My lab crossed over the rainbow bridge, covid ruined a bunch of the club social events, and it seemed there was less ducks overall in the sky. The closer was pretty pathetic.

Hopefully in 2021-2022 I can get rid of the bad and it will be all good!

10. Dakillaofnada

Dakillaofnada Elite Refuge Member

lol.. yeah.. if i hunted refuges every weekend and shot only 2.5 boxes of shells in lets say 35 shoot days.. i would take up something else...