Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

How's the birding going during this lock down for you? What cha seeing?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Lip Shooter, May 21, 2020.

1. waterswatter

waterswatter Elite Refuge Member

I'd like to know what happened to our Nighthawks. They used to fill the evening skies in the summer, doing their aerial acrobatics, chasing the insects. Have not seen one for probably 20 years.

rhpierce likes this.
  2. Quarne

Quarne Elite Refuge Member

Yeah, what HAS happened to the nighthawks? I haven’t seen any in a long time!

3. nobands

nobands Senior Refuge Member

Well if you're talking the city birds ,its a change in roofing. The nest in towns on flat roofs with rock on them .
    Either the old tar buildup roof with pea gravel or rubber ballasted. Both are damn near a thing of the past .
    Insecticide probably another cause.
    Chimney Swifts going the same way .

rhpierce likes this.
  4. rhpierce

rhpierce Elite Refuge Member

Just had a pair of summer tanagers start hanging out around our deck.

We have crows, black and turkey vultures, pileated, red headed, and downy woodpeckers, three different species of sparrow or so, brown thrasher, mockingbird, nuthatch, Carolina chickadee, tufted titmouse, the goldfinches are long gone, junco, bluejay, cardinal, phoebe, indigo bunting, ruby throated hummingbird, barred owl and great horned, have seen an eagle roosting around the small lake in the winter, during the migration we have had ringneck, bufflehead, mallard, bluebill, hooded merganser on the lake, in the spring we have wood ducks and have seen a few pairs of blue winged teal on their way back north, we have resident Canada geese, cormorant, the Cooper's hawks migrate through, great blue heron, great egret, European starling, kingbird, grackle, house finch.

ETA: forgot the wren, Carolina, I think, not house wren. And the swallowtail kites aren't around the house, but have seen several nearby when going to work. Oh, and "nearby on the way to work" also includes scissortail flycatcher.

At our old house we would get towhee and rose breasted grosbeaks coming through, saw orioles a couple times, and had pine warblers.

Lip Shooter likes this.
  5. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

6. Swampfoot

Swampfoot Senior Refuge Member

Got cut short a bit this spring. Was ready to stroll the kid and look after work but most parks closed mid march. Heard a vireo at work one day. Seen a few swallow tail kites. Still looking to see a Florida scrub jay. Seen willet, sanderling, and pipers on the beach. Bunch off odd parakeets down here i haven't figured out yet.

7. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

Saw a great horned owl sitting on a powerline on my way home from work tonight.

8. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

Need to kill some
    B3908768-A22B-498E-9721-CD76521430AD.jpeg

9. toby

toby Elite Refuge Member

I have had 5000 crows roost behind my house for the last 30 years. They are fascinating. I shoot them if they are on my roof or my neighbors roof but if you whack one they stay off for awhile. This time of year they grab the songbirds young and in turn the owls, hawks and eagles eat the crows. I am lucky I live in the city limits and I have herons,Eagles,hawks,owls,all kinds of ducks, geese, lots of woodpeckers,songbirds, which I can sit on my deck and watch. 10 years ago my neighbor decided to raise 50 Pheasant chicks and let them loose. For the hawks it was a two year smorgasbord, but very entertaining.

10. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator

Juncos
    Multiple varieties of sparrows
    Grosbeaks
    Quail
    Doves
    Starlings
    Cow birds
    Coopers hawks
    Woodpeckers
    Blue jays
    Hummingbirds
    Great horned owls
    Red tail hawks
    Golden eagles
    Red wing blackbirds
    Yellow wing blackbirds
    Goshawks
    Crows

The hawks sit in my pine trees and prey on the birds at the feeders. The owls post up on a stop sign or the eaves of my roof at night. Eagles just pass by.