Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

How's the birding going during this lock down for you? What cha seeing?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Lip Shooter, May 21, 2020.

1. Phytoplankton

Phytoplankton Elite Refuge Member

Living on the edge of a marsh there's so many shorebirds, egrets, hawks, owls etc. I loose track. Did see a momma mallard with 4 almost grown little ones in front of the house today, she started out with 6, so she did good! Last year I had a pair of humming birds nest above a wind chime on my porch, they raised up three little ones, but made the porch a little dangerous for a month or so, they are very aggressive around their nests.

Every evening I get to watch the fight for roosting space between the night herons and the greater/lesser egrets. They use the same bunch of eucalyptus trees to roost in. About a half hour before dark the egrets start to gather across the slough, then a few will fly over to the Eucalyptus trees where the night herons roost during the day. The night herons start squawking and try to fight off the egrets, finally the night herons leave for their feeding and the egrets roost for the night. The next morning it's the reverse. Of course the Great Blue Herons do whatever they want!

waterswatter likes this.
  2. texduk3

texduk3 Senior Refuge Member

Last week I watched a hawk raid a robins nest, and carry a young one off.

3. perfmarine

perfmarine Elite Refuge Member

DSC02596.JPG DSC02605.JPG DSC02610.JPG 20200523_084115.jpg

4. Quarne

Quarne Elite Refuge Member

@Phytoplankton, that is fascinating information regarding the different herons and egrets!

5. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Bald eagle
    Hawks: Cooper's, Red-shouldered, redtail
    Peregrine falcon and/or Prairie Falcon
    Owls: Barn, burrowing, great horned
    Road Runner
    Blue birds fighting
    Humming birds
    Assortments of finches
    Assortments of waterfowl: coots, mallards, wood ducks, honkers, buffle heads (in breeding display), ring necks, gadwall, cinnamon teal
    Valley Quail and Mountain Quail
    Dove
    Wood peckers
    Jays (Scrub's and Stellar's)
    Turkeys

I enjoy birding while turkey hunting... And often birds and other wildlife can give you clues as to the presence or approach of a turkey. Quail will flush, often geese will honk, Jays and mocking birds will make commotion, etc. I take the binoculars with me to aid in hunting and looking for turkeys, but I also take them to entertain myself viewing birds and other wildlife.

One of my favorite aspects about turkey hunting in the spring is the assortment of sounds... Coyotes howling, birds singing, watefowl making monkey sounds, turkeys gobbling... Pretty much everything out there trying to get laid.

bill cooksey, nobands and Quarne like this.
  6. perfmarine

perfmarine Elite Refuge Member

7. Banded1

Banded1 Elite Refuge Member

I was out 6 miles offshore on Lake Michigan today and had a visitor. Not terribly uncommon for some sort of warbler to hitch a ride but I never saw one of these before. American Redstart. upload_2020-5-23_15-57-10.jpeg

8. Lip Shooter

Lip Shooter Elite Refuge Member

Wow thats so awesome please consider emailing the pic and story to birds and bloom magazine.

Banded1 likes this.
  9. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator

Heard a few crows making a fuss about 90 minutes ago. Looked out the window and a great horned owl was being harassed by the crows. He stood his ground and eventually the crows gave up.

10. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

Good call and good magazine. I flip through every issue.

Lip Shooter likes this.