Hunting around lafayette

Ethan Terry

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
This upcoming season I will be traveling to the university of Purdue a lot for my girlfriend and friends who are attending. I have been looking into public duck hunting around Lafayette, and have found eller pond wetland. Is there any more public around there or am I sol? Is it worth even bringing the equipment to hunt? any advice or comments would be helpful.

OneShotBandit

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a DNR friend that hunted the Wabash River while he was getting his Wildlife Biology degree at PU. BUT that was in the late 60's early 70's!

oldman1949

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Wabash River can be good when the northern part of the state is snow covered and the water turns hard . But one needs to have the right gear
and know what they are doing . Meaning a narrow 14ft john boat and a 9 horse motor ain't going to cut it .
Remember : There are a lot of bold hunters and there are a lot of old hunters . But there are damn few bold , old hunters .

duckmann

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Wabash River can be good when the northern part of the state is snow covered and the water turns hard . But one needs to have the right gear
and know what they are doing . Meaning a narrow 14ft john boat and a 9 horse motor ain't going to cut it .
Remember : There are a lot of bold hunters and there are a lot of old hunters . But there are damn few bold , old hunters .
Yep. The Wabash damn near got me in just such a rig below FT Ouiatenon in late December with ice floes back in the late 70s. Learned a lot about being stupid and alone that day

duckmann

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
This upcoming season I will be traveling to the university of Purdue a lot for my girlfriend and friends who are attending. I have been looking into public duck hunting around Lafayette, and have found eller pond wetland. Is there any more public around there or am I sol? Is it worth even bringing the equipment to hunt? any advice or comments would be helpful.
Depends on how invested you are in said girlfriend. My guess is she's going to want your time when your visiting. If that's the case leave your stuff at home where you're learning the game and hunt when you're home. This is a good test of your future. If she demands all of your time you might want to look in the future. Wives are often less accommodating about hinting time than girlfriends.