Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

Hunting Geese

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by MJ, Aug 1, 2020.

1. MJ

MJ Administrator Moderator

Couple of goose hunt videos. I used to have some really nice properties to hunt geese but lost access. Properties were sold, people outbid me on properties, flight patterns changed and a number of other unfortunate things. Today my goose hunts are videos on YouTube. I haven't been on a dedicated goose hunt since 2018. Maybe this season that will change.

Who has geese on their own property to hunt or access to multiple fields?

Luigi Daniele likes this.
  2. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

We have 9 ranches but we only have 1000 geese.We try and manage our spots and we do okay. MJ you are familiar with Ely ,ever out here give me a shout might be able to get you out.I remember talking to you guys at Mason Valley scouting lessers.A shame what happened there.
    Take care Mike.

3. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

Are you in those videos?

4. mpkowal

mpkowal Elite Refuge Member

No,never took videos I have enough fun just setting decoys,calling and shooting.
    We pack in about 50%of the time and usually pack an Aframe with us.

5. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

:rolleyes:I lost a great field last year to developers
    I’m just so grateful I had it as long as I did
    My daughters while in HS had incredible shoots
    I easily killed 500 geese on the field and family and friends maybe another 950-1000
    But maybe the biggest problems or changes
    The migration has changed
    The field a few miles to the west of me would hold 5-10 k birds none of those show
    Later season another hunter
    Is given the blame for ripping around in an airboat and pushing the whole roost out

One advantage most of the competition no longer shows up either

6. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

We have access to a few fields but development is shrinking the supply. Only did 3 field hunts last year. No limits but our group was never skunked.

7. GUNNERX2

GUNNERX2 Elite Refuge Member

A migratory Canada in northern middle TN is a rare bird indeed. 99% of Canadas killed are residents and if you're going to kill any, best you be set up on water. For whatever reason, ducks and geese just don't dry feed down here. There are plenty of corn fields but generally speaking, they don't use them. We will get a few snows & blues, migratory obviously, but they mix in with the local Canadas. I remember only two hunts that we killed migratory Canadas, once were lessers and once the birds were cackler sized. We have a half dozen places to shoot residents but they are really unpredictable. They really don't use one spot for more than a few days and then move to another farm.

8. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

Lost our go to field a few seasons back to development. 7 minutes from my driveway to the field. Could drive in if not muddy(only had to carry stuff in once in nearly 10 years). It was in the middle of 3 large roost lakes and the area would build up to 5K or more geese throughout the season. Never had to scout, just go setup and shoot birds. Would hunt it maybe twice a week during the season and the birds always acted like they never seen decoys there before. Shot hundreds of geese in that field over the years and have kind of lost interest in field hunting since.

9. Dirk Van Schmaldlerson

Dirk Van Schmaldlerson Senior Refuge Member

What are these geese that you speak of? Hopefully I’ll shoot one this year.