Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Hunting grass fields

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by byebyeducky, Dec 4, 2006.

1. byebyeducky

byebyeducky Senior Refuge Member

I'm new into the geese thing, but looking for a little advice. I hunted Saurday with about 35 sillouhettes (sp) and 2 layout blinds in a local grass field. We could draw them in, but they flared when they got directly overhead. No luck, but with the right setup I'm sure we could limit.

I believe we have 2 problems.

1. I noticed the geese would flare when they got directly overhead. Is this because we had no full body decoys? What do you recomend on a budget?

2. We have camo layouts, but no grassing because these grass fields are mowed short and have no tall grass. They are also a lawn green. I am thinking I need to find some green grass to grass the blinds if I can. Or, can I buy fake green grass?

Thanks for the help guys, And with luck, I'll post pics of a successful hunt next Sat.

2. JEDJR

JEDJR Elite Refuge Member

Sounds like you were seen.

Are your blinds mudded well? Get you some winter what grass kits amd make your hide blend/match your surroundings a little more. Also, pull those silos in tight and some upwind of you. make them geese concentrate on the silos behind you(upwind) for your better shot percentage.
    Get some shells or fb's to add if you are looking to add to your spread. I'd recommend fb's, but whatever your wallet allows.
    Also, Learn to read the geese. Knowing when and when not to call working birds is just as important as anything else mentioned.

Best of luck to you.

3. byebyeducky

I think the blinds were not mudded well enough. I took mud and water and wiped them, but I think I need more mud and less water, because it didn't seem to do much.

Thanks for the tips!

I think we were ok on the calling, my brother does the majority, and to my judgement, he does quite well, and doesn't overdo it.

4. Wingnutty

Wingnutty Elite Refuge Member

As stated before, they probably saw ya. Tough to hide layouts on a putting green. Maybe take some of those fake grass mats (you know, the kind they use for indoor putting, ect) and use those to cover up with and lay as flat as possible.

I don't know if you'll have much luck trying to use the layouts if the grass is real short, unless you blend those babies in beautifully.

Others may disagree though so see if other people think it can be done?

5. byebyeducky

That may work, I don't know? There is some cover at the edge of the field, tall trees and tall grass, but I think they will flare away, and land out in the middle.

I know I can't hide the form of the blind, but can I mask it with green grass to make it match? or will the form still stand out?

6. Native NV Ducker

Native NV Ducker Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others Moderator

I hunted with a well known outfitter, who took me to some sod fields to hunt. The fields were huge, but had tall grass/brush on the edges. We blinded up there, and set the silos in the sod about 30 yards out. Even though the birds had been feeding in the middle the day before, they came right into the decoys.

Go figure. If you have cover on the edges, try it once.

7. byebyeducky

I'll have to give it a try, although the only area with grass has some tall fir trees that may make them a little wary. I think I'll take my blind and grass it with fresh grass clippings just in case I need a backup. I have some green grass about a foot tall behind my house

8. JEDJR

JEDJR Elite Refuge Member

That grass will die and discolor after a short period and your hide will not match well. Get some of the Avery or Final approach grass, cut and zip tie to your desired length.

9. Dan Mallia

Dan Mallia Elite Refuge Member

Hunting on the edge:tu

That's what I would do, and its what we do when we hunt our rice fields.

I was taught that trick by some guys in your neck of the woods;) They're pretty successful with it.

10. rob_in_mn

rob_in_mn Elite Refuge Member