Hunts From the Pre-Digital Age

Discussion in 'Utah Flyway Forum' started by Paddler, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Paddler

Paddler Banned

The other threads on old photos spurred me to resume scanning my slide collection, which numbers about 2000-3000. I have roughly 200 slides from hunts from 1978, when I got my first SLR, till about 2003. That's sad, as I wish I had a lot more. But Kodachrome 64 cost about $12-$14 per roll processed back then, so I was careful. Now I'll shoot 200 frames in an hour, maybe more. Anyway, thought I'd share a few. Don't worry, I won't post all 200.;)

This first was an ice hunt on Hull Lake during the 1998-99 season, and the light was striking:

[​IMG]

2. Family Man

Family Man Senior Refuge Member

3. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Fantastic pic:tu

My wife has some FIJI film in the fridge,.. I think the experation on it is 1999
    I bet she doent een know where her SLR is located

4. Paddler

Paddler Banned

My SLR is an Olympus OM-1, which is completely manual. No auto focus, no auto exposure, no nothing except a built in meter. But, with Kodachrome 25(!), it was awesome. This isn't a hunt photo, but is about 32 years old:

[​IMG]

Here are a couple of photos from when we lived in Los Angeles, circa 1979. Hunting opportunities were limited, and we worked hard for deer. I took this with a 55# recurve on October 21, 1979:

[​IMG]

Even bunnies and rattlesnakes were fair game. If anybody else has photos to post, please do. The sillier the better:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Paddler

Paddler Banned

In late 1995 or 1996, I paddled out into Unit 1 at Farmington Bay. It was early morning, with about 3/4" of ice, and foggy. I left from the boat launch, paddling southeast. Had no idea where I was going, couldn't see more than about 30 yards, so just kept paddling. I finally come to a little high spot, no more than about 3" above water level. So, I threw out some decoys and set up.

Pretty soon, I heard birds roaring in on me. Out of the fog came a flock of about 50 GWT, maybe 3' off the deck. I had discovered the GWT at Unit 1!! Over the next several years, we hunted the same spot. During the week, only Aldrich and I hunted Unit 1. My buddy and I would go out about once a week, get set up at about 10:00, and wait. The birds would start flying midday, and we'd shoot a limit every time out in about 45 minutes. Here are some pictures from 1997, including my first attempts at BIF photography:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Little did I know that things would change dramatically. By 2000, the GWT were gone, replaced by shovelers and gadwall. It didn't get any better than those good old days on Unit 1!!

6. Paddler

Paddler Banned

In about 1997, I met the character below. Before we met, he'd been a longtime waterfowler, I think had had an airboat, etc. He had only hunted the ice for a few years by the time we began hunting together, and he taught me just about everything I know about it. We had some wonderful times on the ice, and I still owe him. Some of you may recognize him, he's retired from hunting now:

[​IMG]

The next photo is from a hunt on the west side of the Unit 1 dike, in 1997, when the lake was up on the dike. That's Goose Egg to the left:

[​IMG]

Because the lake was so high, we were able to launch just north of the airboat launch and paddle north up to the ice sheet near the Layton marsh. It was kind of spooky paddling on the GSL in the dark. But we just paddled up to the ice, got out, pulled the canoe far enough to ensure solid ice, and set up. The only other hunter we saw was an airboater a couple of miles to the west. I ended up with a nice pintail and a goose. Quite an adventure!:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What we need is for the lake to rise again and kill the phrag outside the dikes.

7. dkhntrdstn

dkhntrdstn Senior Refuge Member

Great pic there paddler. I agree that we need the lake to come back up.If the lake come back up we will see the teal back at FB big time like back then.

8. silverkittens73

silverkittens73 Senior Refuge Member

My hell Paddler - awesome pictures. I think I am going to fein some kind of ailment so I have to go to the Instacare so we can visit.

9. Paddler

Paddler Banned

After Jim showed me how to hunt the ice, I bought my own kit. He hunted FB exclusively, so I never hunted it without him until he retired from waterfowling. We hunted everywhere else, though, from Salt Creek to Clear Lake. Some days back then were great, some slow, so not much has changed. It's much more popular now, so I think success is generally down. This particular day shooting hours started at 7:25. By 7:37, I'd killed 6 greenheads:

[​IMG]

Killing a goose back then, before we started going to Canada, was cause for celebration:

[​IMG]

We watched many a sunrise, and many sunsets:

[​IMG]

10. Paddler

Paddler Banned

This is Clear Lake from 2001. We were counting our shots, and I crippled one. Matt kindly netted this one from my canoe, saving me a shell. I have no idea why we had a net along that day:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]