"Hybrid" boat pics

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by djc, Feb 11, 2008.

1. MA duck hunter

MA duck hunter New Member

I drilled the transom drain hole and likewise a water flow hole in the dog box divider. I bought a 1”x3” brass tube and cut it in half. I also drilled the holes for a tow/tiedown hook in the bow. I will be using 5200 Sealant on all these parts.

I stitched the bow and sides on tonight. Like everything it took longer than I planned. I will start gluing the insides tomorrow and trim up the overhangs and hopefully have it glassed up by the weekend.

I had to modify the shape of the pods at the back. I’m using scraps to make them and didn’t quite have large enough pieces. I could cheat and use another sheet of ply but I want to keep it at 3 sheets. The new shape is similar to what beavertail sells to bolt on aluminum boats anyway.

Attached Files:

MQ likes this.
  2. longduck

longduck Senior Refuge Member

nice job!

MA duck hunter likes this.
  3. Cootsmashfever

Cootsmashfever Senior Refuge Member

Hunted my hybrid for the first time today in a woody hole, it was great. FEF52C37-89B4-44F1-AC07-18EC36E846E7.jpeg

MQ, Goshawk and MA duck hunter like this.
  4. MA duck hunter

The build is done. After gluing from the inside,I trimmed the sides and bow, glassed them both, and reinforced the outside seams with fiberglass tape.

the pods almost took as long as the rest. Many angles and seams to glass. Filled them with 1” insulation foam board.

I used 3M 5200 for the drains and hooks. I’m glad I did them all in one shot because it was a mess as the photos will reveal.

next post is float test and paint job

Attached Files:

5. MA duck hunter

It floats! Painting with Parker bay gray next.

Attached Files:

MQ and Goshawk like this.
  6. MQ

MQ Elite Refuge Member

Looking good. Any plans on a motor?

7. MA duck hunter

I’m planning on a 55lb thrust trolling motor. Battery box at the front for weight distribution. Is this a bad idea?

8. Bif96

Bif96 New Member

I am going to weigh in on the question about the motor.

I've got a 8ft NL I have used the last 2 years that I use a 4hp with. Considering yours is 12ft, I would say a 10hp is probably what you would want to use.
    The 4hp pushes mine along at about 6ish mph, and I've considered trying my 9.5 on it, but it needs a tune-up that I keep putting off...
    Even a small longtail set-up would more than likely work out pretty sweet for you, but that might be difficult with the pods and the dog box.

9. MA duck hunter

Thanks for the input! My friend has a trolling motor that I’m going to test. If it doesn’t cut it I’ll look for gas options, but I don’t want to spend too much $$ so I will look for used options. I’ll need to build up the transom for a heavy motor, did you use thick ply or 2x12” or something?

10. Bif96

Bif96 New Member

I doubled up 3/4 ply, coated it in epoxy and just bolted it on to the transom.
    If i were to do it again, I'd make a lightweight jack plate with some aluminum angle so I could get more adjustment for the motor.
    How thick is your current transom? Mine is 3/4, and with my 1.5" mount on it, i get zero flex.