I hate plumbing.

salthunter

Reaction score
Seems plumbing has too many "options", way to many ways to make it work,,,for now.
I "was" going to replace a sink and facet at the inlaws, under the kitchen cabinet: copper, to galvanized, back to copper.

molliesmaster

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
5 or so years ago, the wife and I took off for a little work seminar/mini-vacation. We were gone for about 4 days or so. That lovely 1990's CPVC decided to do what it is infamous for doing while we were away. Did I mention all the water lines were run through the attic in our cheaply built, cookie-cutter starter home?

I'm not sure how long the pipe had been busted, but when I opened the door the water was just about to spill out onto the porch steps. We logged 60+ nights in a hotel in town while everything was gutted and redone. Two things stand out: I don't do CPVC anymore and I don't mind paying my homeowner's insurance premium.

texduk3

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I did not read any of these posts about plumbing.............that shows much I hate it.
Water---very unforgiving

Phytoplankton

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Now you know why plumbers cost sooo much! My son is 4 years into a 5 year apprenticeship in the Steamfitters Union, so basically he's a plumber on steroids! He loves his work, he worked as a plumber for a couple years, non-union, but his advancement was limited, so he took the test for both union plumber and steamfitter, he was #19 (of 500) on the plumbers list, he was #21 (of 500) on the Steamfitters list, Steamfitters called first. He's making great money, putting a ton into Roth IRA's and a 401K's, plus his Local Retirement and his National retirement, and bought a house with 50% down, in Portland, two years ago. He just got a 10% bump (of journeyman's wage) when he got his welding cert. Plus the place he works is having so much trouble getting qualified people the employer gave all the Steamfitters a $5/hr. raise on top of the union wage, plus he can work all the OT he wants!!!! If you want a good career path for a kid, point em towards the trades they are good paying jobs. Last summer I was running a gas line in my garage for a dryer, I spend a day and a half and got almost nothing done, he did the whole job in two hours!!

widgeon

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
@widgeon he's got it right ! Never pay someone else do something you can.
Plumbing is a PIA buts it's something most any grown man should be able to figure out.
Hell our plumbers at work are more like big trained monkeys.
All you have to remember is hot on the left,cold om the right, **** flows downhill, and the boss is an a hole

igo4dux75

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
If you want a good career path for a kid, point em towards the trades they are good paying jobs.

This!!!! I have a 23 year old kid working for me that makes $30/hr with 4 years experience. In Montana aka "poverty with a view".

The trades are in trouble, and the future is going to bring experienced tradesman premium salaries just about anywhere. There are more people retiring then there are people entering the trades.