I hate trailer lights.

linhardt

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I am going to open a shop for fixing trailer lights and simply name it " it's always the ground wire" ... People from far and wide will understand....
:tu

What someone needs to do is sell a complete harness with it all grounded through the vehicle with heavier gauge wires, heat shrunk connections, etc. I would pay extra for something that is almost guaranteed to last a lifetime. That person who creates this will make a lot of $$.

fowlwhacker

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
i got tired of the convention trailer lights with the push in bulbs. always acting up and you could switch one bulb that is acting up the other side it it would work with no seen filament issues. normally a short term fix. switched mine over to led's and mounted up high on 2" PVC and ran a full length of wires from the trailer tongue to the lights. the only issue i initially had was grounding that caused the lights to work sometimes depending on what vehicle I was using. once I grounded good never had an issue again. been slowing converting everything I own over led to avoid the chronic issues.

Tuleman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
What someone needs to do is sell a complete harness with it all grounded through the vehicle with heavier gauge wires, heat shrunk connections, etc. I would pay extra for something that is almost guaranteed to last a lifetime. That person who creates this will make a lot of $$.
The only problem with your idea is that the guy who would know how to correctly install that harness knows already how to properly wire trailer lights, and the guy who would buy that kit expecting it to compensate for his lack of knowledge/expertise would still make a mess of it.

Tailfeathers

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I took some copper cable, added heafty alligator clips to each end and manually ground my trailer to the truck’s frame.

Kevin Burroughs

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saltwater "lifetime" is partway into a second season.
Show me where it said that. We make battery cables at my shop and solder every one. Takes more time but its always perfect. We solder every connection because we never want to do it again.

num70

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Show me where it said that. We make battery cables at my shop and solder every one. Takes more time but its always perfect. We solder every connection because we never want to do it again.
Where what said what?
What're you talking about?
Congratulations on your steadfast devotion to the art of soldering.
I salute you, sir.

• Haha
Reactions: tcc

California Flyway

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I highly recommend LED lights. I also ground each light to the frame and to the truck through the wiring harness. I cannot remember the last time I had a trailer light problem. While you are at it install LED backup lights. I spent twenty five years backing up drift boat trailers in the dark down narrow, brush lined trails to launch for Steelhead fishing. LED backup lights are "golden" in those situations. The LED backups do not require a relay due to low current draw.

thekillerofmallard

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
My brother is a genius at trailer lights.
I tell him hay the trailer lights aren't working his answer. "DAM GROUND". :l :l :l