I hate trailer lights.

tcc

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
...only by guys who can't execute a proper soldering job.
Says the guy who can't make a quality crimp... ;)

Like it or not, but especially in a high vibration environment like a boat trailer a solid crimp is the superior connection. When done correctly you're cold welding the wire and the crimp (I'll agree that a poorly done crimp is a failure waiting to happen, but so is a poor solder job).
Leave the soldering to mounting components to circuit boards.

Last edited:

Tuleman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Will trailer light ground to aluminum? Moving mine up from the steel frame to the top of the new aluminum side boards frame. Wondering if I need to extend the ground wire back down to the steel frame.
Aluminum is an even better conductor of electricity than steel.

Tuleman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Like it or not, but especially in a high vibration environment like a boat trailer a solid crimp is the superior connection.
A properly executed solder joint is every bit as durable as a perfectly crimped joint....and far better than a poorly done crimp or even a well-crimped joint using a non-sealed connector.
When done correctly you're cold welding the wire and the crimp (I'll agree that a poorly done crimp is a failure waiting to happen, but so is a poor solder job).
There is no such thing as a "cold weld". A crimp is a mechanical connection.
I have no problem with guys using crimp connectors, if that's what they prefer.
But you and I both know that a proper soldering job will not fail....there may be a method AS GOOD (and it also requires certain hardware and certain skills), but there is nothing BETTER.
Leave the soldering to mounting components to circuit boards.
If crimping was a superior method, components would be crimped to their circuit boards.
Pretty obvious that, when comparing assembly time and durability, a flow-soldered circuit board is the superior product...since they are ALL assembled that way. Even those destined for high-vibration use.

tcc

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
A properly executed solder joint is every bit as durable as a perfectly crimped joint....and far better than a poorly done crimp or even a well-crimped joint using a non-sealed connector.

There is no such thing as a "cold weld". A crimp is a mechanical connection.
I have no problem with guys using crimp connectors, if that's what they prefer.
But you and I both know that a proper soldering job will not fail....there may be a method AS GOOD (and it also requires certain hardware and certain skills), but there is nothing BETTER.

If crimping was a superior method, components would be crimped to their circuit boards.
Pretty obvious that, when comparing assembly time and durability, a flow-soldered circuit board is the superior product...since they are ALL assembled that way. Even those destined for high-vibration use.
You might want to do a little more research, because you don't know as much as you think you do. :tu You could do some google research, or simply go look at any machine you can find around you--plane, train, automobile, whatever. Come back and tell me how many soldered joints you find..

Iammichael6499

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I mostly use high-quality adhesive crimp connectors because I still haven’t learned how to solder worth a flying farkel. One of these days I’ll master the dark art.

Tuleman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
That process, though popularly called "cold welding" is not welding, it is bonding. And it sure isn't applicable to wire crimps that you and I could use on our trailer wiring.......
Read that link and you'll see why.

Back to the subject being discussed: you can't beat a properly soldered joint for trailer wiring. A perfect crimp may equal it, but that's all.

Kevin Burroughs

Elite Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might want to do a little more research, because you don't know as much as you think you do. :tu You could do some google research, or simply go look at any machine you can find around you--plane, train, automobile, whatever. Come back and tell me how many soldered joints you find..
They use crimp fittings on wiring harness because its cheaper and takes less time. Period.