I have a Question for disabled Sportsman?

Pastor

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I asked this in the Fishing forum but I'll post it here.

For anyone who fishes from a wheelchair, what length handle is the best for a landing net. I know banks and water levels will very but for an average bank fishing situation what would be the optimal length? Or just the overall length from end of hoop to end of handle. I guess it would be better to make them a bit too long than too short.

Billy Bob

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Not the answer you're looking for but a friend of mine used heavier line and just pulled them up the bank. I think it was about 20 pound test. 5-6 pounds is about as big fish get here unless its during the salmon runs.

howard s.

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I'd say around 4 ft be just about right depending on the side of the boat you're in.
Everyone one of them eyesighted bass boats maybe a little longer.

Pastor

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I appreciate the responses. This will not be a boat fishing situation but edge of the stream rather. If I make handles 30" that will put the end of the hoop right at 4 foot. I just want them to be long enough for the fisherman in wheelchairs to use without assistance but not add unnecessary weight to the net. These will predominantly be used at designated ADA access points with the water fairly close to the bank level.

Pastor

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
These nets are 3 foot over all with an 18" handle. I made them for a canoe or kayak type fishing situation.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220311-124032_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220311-124032_Gallery.jpg
    708.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20220311-123939_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220311-123939_Gallery.jpg
    737.4 KB · Views: 10

Pastor

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I made these 5 foot overall. They were for 2 disabled high-school students. I questioned their length after completion but I haven't received any feedback on them yet and folks that receive them generally won't disclose anything negative as to not offend you.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220311-124536_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220311-124536_Gallery.jpg
    249.3 KB · Views: 9

FinnsNFeathers

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I can't speak to the ideal length for a disabled fisherman. But I would imagine fishing from a wheelchair on the bank...the longer the better, but only within the ability to control the net one handed, while you hold the rod with the other hand.

Those rubber nets you have on that last picture tend to be very heavy. I would imagine holding that 5 foot long net with one hand on the end of the handle would be a ton of torque and cumbersome to use. I would definitely go to a lighter net material for this particular situation.

Pastor

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I can't speak to the ideal length for a disabled fisherman. But I would imagine fishing from a wheelchair on the bank...the longer the better, but only within the ability to control the net one handed, while you hold the rod with the other hand.

Those rubber nets you have on that last picture tend to be very heavy. I would imagine holding that 5 foot long net with one hand on the end of the handle would be a ton of torque and cumbersome to use. I would definitely go to a lighter net material for this particular situation.

I totally agree in the net material. Those particular net builds were an auction to raise money for the Missouri Disabled Sportsman and the winner requested the rubber netting. I plan on using the light weight coated nylon netting.