I have a stupid choke question

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by illinideer, Oct 26, 2020.

1. illinideer

illinideer Refuge Member

Anyone ever have a choke shoot a not so good patterns then suddenly improve. I bought a carlson sporting clay extended mod to go along with my carlson cremator mid and carlson IM a few months ago. When I first tried it with my hand loads had real sparce/blotchy patterns no big deal those loads shoot very well with my other chokes.
    Now to last week I've been waiting on b&p 32 wads to finish up some shells for this season none to be had so got some 35's and trimmed them down. Shot the cremator and IM again to ck the pattern with the different wad done fine. Put the mod and it shot excellent patterns at 40. Grabbed a few of my earlier loads with 32 wads thinking maybe that was the difference with good and bad patterns and it shot them just fine too
    So my question, is there such a thing as a choke getting broke in? Between load work up and last week I have shot a couple hundred rounds with the modified shooting trap with my 1 oz loads. Thats really the only thing that has changed between then and now. No deep cleaning of the gun other than a wet patch of ed reds after a shoot. Moss 930
    Justin

2. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

You say Steel type wads but refer to 1 oz of (lead?) through a Mod choke ? Are you weighing each component in these shells ?
    What recipe ?

JP likes this.
  3. illinideer

illinideer Refuge Member

Sorry for the confusion when I first got the modified choke had poor patterns with the HG steel load 112 pellets #1 shot 33 grain steel pwdr b&p 32 wad cheddite hull and primer 2 3/4 hull. You could throw a cat through it the mid range cremator and IM done fine.
    Used the same choke and gun to finish up my trap leagues couple hundred rounds 1 oz #8 shot, 17 grain 700x claybuster wad win hull and primer.
    Could not get any more b&p 32 wads to finish out loading up for goose season. So got some b&p 35 last week and trimmed them down for the same hg load above they patterned fine with the modified choke and now the loads with the b&p 32 wad that didn't awhile back are patterning fine. No change between the steel loads other than the wad.
    Justin

4. JP

JP Elite Refuge Member

What you are finding out is steel leadings are very particular and changing or even slightly altering one component often produces markedly different results.

5. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

My HG load with 1's only has 108 in it and it's pushed by 32 gr of A steel under a Sam 1 wad and ignited with a Fed 209 A primer , it does a nice
    job for me through a LM choke ( over Decoys ) or a IM outside of them . I mostly shoot a BGH with a .742 bore , if I'm packing a SA , otherwise it's
    a Wingmaster with a fixed choke .025 barrel . Sounds like you have found a load your gun likes , don't be a fool and bounce around , learn to shoot
    it well and it will serve you well !

JP likes this.
  6. oleww

oleww Elite Refuge Member

My skeet chokes, after a couple hundred rounds, will be “tighter” due to all the wad and residue build up.
    The clays go from breaking in big chunks, to balls of puff, I know my chokes need cleaning.