I have an open seat in my canoe to hunt ducks/geese on the Willamette this weekend

Discussion in 'Oregon Flyway Forum' started by matcrisp, Dec 28, 2021.

1. matcrisp

matcrisp New Member

Let me know if you would like to join me.

I have Friday off, but I could go over the weekend instead. I think I'll put in at Buena Vista, but I'm open to suggestions.

I have a 2 person 16' canoe that I'll paddle and I'll mount an electric trolling motor to fight the current when needed. I've hunted from this canoe successfully both solo, and with a passenger, but not in this location.

2. waterswatter

waterswatter Elite Refuge Member

Stay safe and good luck.

3. waterswatter

4. matcrisp

matcrisp New Member

Friday had some really nice weather. I launched the canoe to test out the trolling motor in the current. It was not able to really push upstream in the faster moving water, so before long I returned to the launch. I went and scouted 2 state parks nearby, but I did not see many birds in the valley.

5. waterswatter

Long ago, I used to float down the river and jump ducks until a couple of private, grassy and gravelly ramps were closed off. Plus, the sneak boat got heavier and heavier to drag up those primitive ramps with each passing year. I used a Carsten's 14-foot Canvasback with the square stern. I also used a 10-foot Aquapod. They are much more stable than a Canoe. I've practiced getting on the Aquapod with waders on, hanging on the side of the boat at the dock and can do it quite easily without tipping it.

I know you did not ask, but I feel compelled to bring safety up, just to throw it out there.

6. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

I have considerable experience in serious whitewater open canoeing. Float bags, custom saddle in my canoe, Class III / IV water, etc.

Have also run a canoe to hunt when I had nothing else that floated to hunt out of. Canoes are and always will be tippy. But for the grace of God an open canoe in big / moving water in winter with a hunting load including dog and /or boaters not familiar with safe canoeing practices can be a recipe for disaster.

I agree with waterswatter's concern for safety.

7. matcrisp

matcrisp New Member

I appreciate the concern but I wore a life jacket and I did not put myself in any danger. I don't have family property, a $20k boat, or a list of secret honey holes. So I'll keep planning public land hunts, and I'll keep posting to the open seats forum in case someone wants to come. In fact, I am going bird hunting in NW Oregon this Saturday and Sunday. If anyone wants to join let me know.

8. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Not trying to discourage you matcrisp. Your original post mentioning "fighting current" just got me concerned. Have fun. I am still exclusively a public hunter although I do have a big boat.

Welcome to the forum and keep on posting. :tu

9. waterswatter

10. Old Guys Rule

Old Guys Rule New Member

Nice meeting you at the ramp. Congratulations on your trial effort in the daylight before committing to a drift hunt. Hope the state lands areas I showed you pan out. The high water we have right now can make these very good areas. Good luck.

OGR

matcrisp likes this.