I need help finding womens clothes!!

Discussion in 'Women's Hunting Forum' started by salthunter, Sep 16, 2003.

1. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

For my wife.
    I bought my wife a nice Browning Jacket (mens cut) for hunting. I didnt know that there would be such a difference in fit. Any way the mens size doesnt fit.
    We were looking in the Cabelas catalouge. Womens Jacket is $40.00 more then the mens.
    And after buying snow bibs for my daughters I know i need to buy womens bibs for them.
    So my question. Where else sells womens Camo Jacket and bibs for waterfowling??? I would like to keep the costs below $250
    Thanks

2. Ladyotl

Ladyotl In Memory<br>04/06/72 - 09/10/07<br>Moderator<br>W

Sorry to hear that. Usually women's clothing is alot more expensive. If you can't find any at a good price try going down a size in the men's, thats what works for me.
    Good Luck!
    Darlene

3. salthunter

The shoulders and sleeves are too big. And the waist too tight in the mens size Small.
    A poor fit anyway.

4. Daisyduck

Daisyduck Elite Refuge Member

I have had a time trying to get womens waders that fit too so it might be worth it to go to a store and try some different styles on. I wish you much luck!:)

5. silvermallard

silvermallard Elite Refuge Member

This might sound goofy, but this is an issue that one of my clients, DHG, is trying to do their part to overcome. So I've been doing some research and talking to mfgs and retailers about it. Here's what I've found out:

1. Everything out there is either ugly or doesn't fit women or both...cuz the latter leads to the former.
    2. There are a LOT of women in this boat.
    3. Women represent the fastest growing demographic group in the shooting sports and account for the majority of ALL growth.
    4. What is out there is not stocked in any sufficient quantity to cover the size ranges and other variety necessary to be viable at the retail level.
    5. Even ordering from mfgs direct, they don't actually HAVE hardly any of the stuff in their catalogs or on their websites.
    6. The Chairman of the Board at Columbia Sportswear, one of my personal favorite mfgs of hunting clothing, is a woman. And I can't even get their staff to return a freaking phone call (and this doesn't happen with many mfgs. at all).
    7. RedHead is probably the best overall line of women's hunting clothes going. It fits OK, and they do actually HAVE it when you look/ask. BUT...it's obviously not designed for women under the age of 50 (opinion of numerous women hunters I've spoken with and even some fathers/husbands of same).
    8. Retailers are mostly scared to death of ordering women's hunting clothes. Most have tried it in the past and still have boxes and shelves full of merchandise from X-years ago that women didn't buy. Thus, they do not pressure the mfgs. for it. In fact, more than one major retailer told me the same story and it goes something like this: "We get tons of women asking about women's hunting clothes, waders, jackets, boots, etc. But every time we've ordered the stuff, it just sits on the shelves and even those same women refuse to buy it. We'll never do it again. You can't trust women shoppers the way you can men."
    9. Mfgs. aren't seeing the demand for a REAL women's line, so they resize some youth sized stuff and sell it as "Women's" this or that...and/or men's size SM. This just doesn't work for my 5'11" wife who is rather well-endowed. I'm sure you ladies understand what I mean.
    10. Even though demand is GROWING, it is still SMALL compared to the demand for men's clothing. Thus, the unit cost per item (because they don't mfg as many of each size/style/color) is MUCH higher than it is for men. This is a reality that will NEVER be overcome unless someday women hunters outnumber men. This alone prevents many of the larger mfgs from getting into the game in any meaninful way because their margins are set based on their men's lines (which would "always" account for 90% of their business). Thus, their business structure is such that it makes no sense to them. It's smarter for them to expand their men's/kid's stuff than to add women's...more profit...less work...less risk. What would YOU do?

It seems to me that a NEW company dedicated specifically to the mfg of women's hunting apparel is the likely solution. That way the business could be scales properly to the market.

All I can say is good luck, ladies! It has got to be very aggravating.

6. William Monk

William Monk New Member

I am new on this forum, but I could use some help with a project. I am a college student and am doing a project on female upland hunting and hunting apparel. I need female hunters to interview for this project. Im working for a female hunting apparel company that is trying to solve the issue of lack of options for female hunters. I need information on the topic of women's hunting apparel and more specifically jackets. Please let me know if you could do a phone interview on this topic. Anything would be helpful.

7. salthunter

I was the original poster of this thread 15 years ago

first there is know way in the world I would give out my daughters phone numbers

My wife and three daughters have had problems in women’s lines right after the original post I purchased a cabelas bibs and coat
    First problem it was more than the equivalent than men’s
    Women want to keep looking good even in hunting clothes
    My middle daughters biggest problem is she doesn’t dress warm enough
    each of my daughters sacrifice warmth for looking good in what they are wearing