I wish TN would end the season on the 31st

Wanderer

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I still wish for open for the two days after Thanksgiving, close, open back up the first weekend in December, close Monday and Tuesday after the first December weekend then open until the 31st.

Doubtful but wishful thinking.
JHS76,

Jamie Fredderson the State Waterfowl Coordinator explained to the Commission last Friday that the State had opted to be Zoned at the last opportunity to set it's season regulations with the USFWS since that had been the "Norm".

This means we have 4 more years as being designated "Zoned" meaning each Zone can have only 2 Segments (Maximum 1 Split) by the frameworks established in this region of the MS Flyway.

If in 4 years the Agency/Commission decides to remove the "Zoning" then the state will be allowed 3 season segments (2 splits).

I believe they dropped the day at the end of the season out of scheduling convenience and maximizing weekends. I also believe they have heard from sportsmen that, since the majority of waterfowl (Peak Population Counts) continue to shift later in the season, that in fact, any day that is removed before the 31st of January actually takes a day away where it is a far more likely we have ducks here to hunt.

The 45 day season framework allows for the 31st closure also, however, a 30 day season would close the Sunday closest to Jan. 20th.

Hope that helps you navigate the system.

Will

JHS76

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
JHS76,

Jamie Fredderson the State Waterfowl Coordinator explained to the Commission last Friday that the State had opted to be Zoned at the last opportunity to set it's season regulations with the USFWS since that had been the "Norm".

This means we have 4 more years as being designated "Zoned" meaning each Zone can have only 2 Segments (Maximum 1 Split) by the frameworks established in this region of the MS Flyway.

If in 4 years the Agency/Commission decides to remove the "Zoning" then the state will be allowed 3 season segments (2 splits).

I believe they dropped the day at the end of the season out of scheduling convenience and maximizing weekends. I also believe they have heard from sportsmen that, since the majority of waterfowl (Peak Population Counts) continue to shift later in the season, that in fact, any day that is removed before the 31st of January actually takes a day away where it is a far more likely we have ducks here to hunt.

The 45 day season framework allows for the 31st closure also, however, a 30 day season would close the Sunday closest to Jan. 20th.

Hope that helps you navigate the system.

Will
Yes that does clear things up.

Wonder why they opted to be zoned?

Honestly it's not that big of a deal, was just curious. I'll still take what we have. I've been so use to the last Sunday in January that all will feel the same.

Thanks

Wanderer

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Wonder why they opted to be zoned?
The early Reelfoot hunt started back in the early eighties I believe.

At that time the Lake proper would be solid ice long before the end of allowable Duck Season which was in the middle of January.

The hunters at that time pushed to get days that coincided with the early build up of ducks, geese (believe it or not we had migratory Canada geese and the season opened in November), and coots on the Lake. Initially the split was 4 days in the first week of November.

Eventually the season was reduced to a weekend and the rest is current history.

Again thanks for making me realize that I'm an old fart!

Will

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score

At that time the Lake proper would be solid ice long before the end of allowable Duck Season which was in the middle of January.

The hunters at that time pushed to get days that coincided with the early build up of ducks, geese (believe it or not we had migratory Canada geese and the season opened in November), and coots on the Lake. Initially the split was 4 days in the first week of November.

Eventually the season was reduced to a weekend and the rest is current history.

Again thanks for making me realize that I'm an old fart!

Will

I believe it was '84 when the hunt started, but I could be off a year or two. The idea was to take advantage of photomigrating gadwalls which were often there at that time. The right holes could be awful good, and the rest of us killed coots. Lead was legal, so many hunters had a flat of dove loads on hand, and it seemed wardens were only concerned with ducks.

You'd see houses around the lake with huge piles of coots in the yard and folks standing around cleaning them to fry for a party.

AppalachianHollers

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score

It’s incredibly difficult for me to imagine any lake in Tennessee freezing over in the winter, period.

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
It’s incredibly difficult for me to imagine any lake in Tennessee freezing over in the winter, period.

Used to walk out on Reelfoot ice and hunt blinds where a hole was dynamited out. Can recall fisheries trucks driving onto the ice to stock through a hole in the ice. First Canadas I ever killed, we were laying on the ice in the middle of Birdsong Bay on KY Lake. Ice was thick enough to drive on. We put out black trash bags weighted with railroad spikes, laid down on the ice and pulled a white plastic sheet over us.

Same places locked up in February last year, but it's been a bit since we battled December ice at all. Nowadays even January ice normally only lasts a day or two.

15thTN

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score

In my grandpa's time, they still had ice houses filled with ice cut from Reelfoot. While he was gone for WW2 the ice sheets got to moving, and sheared off alot of the dead timber.

Even today it freezes over quite easily. A good cold snap with no wind, and it freezes. A couple three days of that, and you're froze out. Unless, you run a boat road all night.

coachcornbread

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Chicamauga and Watts Bar froze over quite regularly back in the 80’s and 90’s. One of the best hunts I ever had was in the early 90’s. Watts Bar froze over so we rode 4 wheelers down the bank and cut out a hole with a chain saw. We had 4 limits of birds in 20 minutes. Was like a dove shoot.

Last edited:

coachcornbread

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Ft Loudon Lake, Douglas, and Cherokee over here in the duck desert used to freeze about completely over in 60s in to 70s in some years in their lower ends with little current....Goldeneye, cans , sea ducks were common.
We used to kill Goldeneyes and Cans pretty regularly on a pond around Praters Flats on Loudon. Weather had to get right but they always showed up.