Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Ice in the boat?

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by Anchovy Andrew, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Anchovy Andrew

Anchovy Andrew Refuge Member

Recently started hunting on the east side of the state and have run into a challenge fighting ice. We hunted in six degree weather and anything that water splashed on froze solid. The floor was an ice skating rink, hatches froze shut ( sucks when your ammo is in there) and the blind froze in place. We had a heater running but even that wasn't enough to un freeze anything. I ended up on the second day moving the boat into my buddies garage and cranking the heat to un freeze the boat overnight. I was also worried due to the water in the bottom of the boat that the hull would crack once the ice expanded. What are you guys doing that hunt in cold temps to combat ice in the boat?

2. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

Biggest problem was always getting the plug in when ice was in the hole etc. I try to keep my blind camo covered by cordura in case it rains then freezes. Where's the ice in the boat coming from? Guys getting back in the boat? Dog getting back in? Leaks? From snowfall?

Let your boots drain if from waders. Cover the boat or keep inside if from snow. If the dog is the main source maybe get towels to soak up the water. Have him shake before coming in.

3. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Senior Refuge Member

As far as floor being slippery from ice the restaurant rubber mating available at lowes/home depot stops that problem. 3' x 3' sheets with a octagional hole pattern water drains thru. Cover boat with tarp if your getting snow in boat outside and try to limit amount of water you or dog beings back into boat. Lube your hatch gaskets with silicone and freezing tight should stop.

4. JohnBZ

JohnBZ Elite Refuge Member

Ice in the bottom of the boat wont hurt it. My boat sits uncovered year round and has no issues. We go through many freeze thaw cycles every winter and usually get down to somewhere between -15 and -30 most years. We break ice to hunt in November. Havent had a problem in that regard. I have heard of ice damaging hulls from excessive speed while trying to break it. As far as combating ice inside we do two things aside from covering or indoor storage. I have horse stall mat on the bottom of my boat. If it gets icy i just lift the mat up and it will break into manageable peices. If conditions will be causing continuous ice we just wear cleats/crampons/creepers whatever you want to call them. The same ones we wear for ice fishing. You cant always stop the ice from accumulating so instead of fighting it just adapt and deal with it.

WestKyHunt likes this.
  5. Clam

Clam Refuge Member

If you already don’t have one, always have a propane or mapp gas torch with you. Also a big lighter or striker back up to light it.

especially around here (I’m in Mukilteo) everything is wet, then freezes over the mountains and needs thawed.

6. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

I will throw my boat in the heated garage if I come back in and she's froze up. That happens a lot in late season around here. I've never been concerned about the boat being damaged due to expansion of ice. My biggest concern is that the bilge pump is working and not locked up tight in a frozen bilge.

Fowler267 likes this.
  7. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

We hunt in so much brush etc that falls in the boat that a bilge pump is sketchy on a 65 degree day.. We use a gallon jug with the bottom cut out as a bailer and blind **** jug. Easier to hit the jug then pee over the blind etc. Jug is more reliable then the bilge.

mmayes and ringneck5499 like this.
  8. Bottomland hunter

Bottomland hunter Senior Refuge Member

This is a constant battle if you have a solid floor . Personally I like to put the anti fatigue mats in between the ribs so the water can get on out . Eventually they’ll get slick .

9. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Elite Refuge Member

I just de ice the aluminum boat using two jumper cables from the batteries from my wife's Prius. There's a big arc spark at first that will wake you up a bit and get the dog to bark, but then the boat gets hot real fast and the ice melts. Keep an eye on it and the ice will boil away which is good but if you let it get too much hotter, the trailer rollers will melt and create a flat spot on them. Hope this helps. :joker

duckbuster5901 likes this.
  10. Tuleman

Tuleman Elite Refuge Member

I think he's making fun of this thread..... :l