Idaho Access

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by kmx4, Dec 31, 2020.

1. kmx4

kmx4 Refuge Member

I'm looking for very general info and advice on access to public waterways in Idaho. I've been at it for a long time and prefer to sort it out myself with scouting and running the rivers, etc. but I've never chased ducks in ID.

Retired from the Army a few years ago after 23 years and moved back to the North Coast of Oregon. Access to waterfowl hunting is fantastic, but the constant rain and politics has me thinking about relocating. My top priority is relatively easy access to public hunting (don't tell my wife). Kids will have graduated and we're retired, so schools and employment aren't factors.

Which parts of the state have good public access and a fair amount of birds? I'm not looking for a few "burners" a couple of times a season when the migration and conditions are just right. I try to hunt as much as possible and don't mind getting skunked, I've gotten past measuring success by the number of birds killed. I don't field hunt and prefer to be on the water, hunting mostly from the boat.

Thanks a bunch in advance, and if anyone is headed to NW Oregon or SW Washington, I'd be happy to take you out for a hunt on the lower columbia.

2. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Up in the Panhandle area there are numerous public lakes and river systems to hunt. If you have time to scout you will do well on average. We are talking the Kootenai / Bonner / Boundary County areas. PM me if that is what you are looking at and I can provide further info.

3. Woodduck31

Woodduck31 Elite Refuge Member

The southwest public access river hunting is crowded. A boat is nearly a necessity anymore. Having a boat will help. We met a group of guys from Oregon this week at a ramp on the snake and asked them where they were heading So we wouldn’t overlap. They told us where then added you better not screw us. There ended up being five boats within ear shot. I don’t duck hunt much anymore, just tired of the crap. I spend my time outdoors with a fly rod and don’t have to worry about beating anyone to a spot. When I meet up with other fly fishermen it’s always friendly and instead of racing to the good spots it’s “come on and join me and here is what they are eating. “ anywhere along the snake there are plenty of public access boat ramps.

4. kmx4

kmx4 Refuge Member

Thanks for the response...and it sure seems like the next generation of duck hunters is predominantly knuckleheads.

ARHHH4 likes this.
  5. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Overall I wouldn't select a place to live just for its duck hunting:eek:. But thats me.
    If you truly like to relocate, I would consider living one state part of the year, another state another time and seasons. My kids live here. And they are important to me, so I do what I can here.
    We have a big world out there, lots to see and do
    Seems to have ben good huntign near where Ive lived
    Minnesota and Dakotas.
    Vancouver Wa, the Columbia and private ranch
    Utah The Great Salt lake
    SE Idaho Much of the Snake, Bear lake Refuge , Blackfoot Res and including Fort Hall

Totally carefree?
    September I would live in Idaho:Elk
    October and November SD, Coyote trapping, bird hunting plenty of ducks
    Nov. DEC Nebraska? Kansas more bird hunting
    Nodak December till March Live on the lakes and fish and a bit of coyote hunting
    Then back to Nebraska
    April SD. Conservation hunt trapping
    May fish in Mn.
    June maybe Canada, more fishing
    July August Alaska, gold mining hunt and fish

sdkidaho and kmx4 like this.
  6. canada

canada Senior Refuge Member

7. canada

canada Senior Refuge Member

I always have respect for resident hunters in whichever state I hunt.I don’t get these pompous duck hunters who get territorial especially when they are out of state.