Idaho moose.

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by Honkerclan08, May 17, 2020.

1. Honkerclan08

Honkerclan08 Washington forum Moderator

Hi everyone,

I was one of the lucky people and drew a moose tag for 10A-2. I’m super excited about this opportunity. If anyone knows or has any information about this unit or just moose hunting in Idaho in general, it would be greatly appreciated.

bullpinnie likes this.
  2. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Don't know about the unit or moose hunting but I do know that you are fortunate to have pulled a tag. It's not easy in Idaho. Good luck!

My buddy got his moose up north along the Coeur d'Alene River.

Honkerclan08 likes this.
  3. Honkerclan08

Thanks. This was my first year applying for ID. Feeling super lucky.

4. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Took my hunting partner 11 years to draw his tag. I think they have reduced the number of tags available this year, so you must be a very lucky individual!

5. Woodduck31

Woodduck31 Elite Refuge Member

I've gone with guys on moose hunts a few times and it's pretty much a no brainer other than finding a moose to hunt. We see moose a lot when we fish eastern Idaho. Having helped with field care and packing out, I'm not much interested in doing it myself. Every now and then we have an idaho traffic jam on the river while trout fishing. Always figure it's a good time to eat lunch. We see way more bulls than cows.

67943248_2669226959776552_5471606941455220736_o.jpg 70116781_2725959337436647_472649198030815232_n.jpg 71709459_2762813967084517_453576824522276864_o.jpg

6. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

We drew 3 tags in 5 years.

While living in Utah a kid from church , his family had drawn 7 tags in 6 years ( real big family ) . His mom , a couple sisters, aunts , and cousins. All women.
    I was teasing him and asked whats the secrete.
    "Shoot them up hill and close to the road"

More than anything how do you want to hunt them and how wil you handle them. After moose Believe me when I say packing out an elk is nothing in comparison.
    One of the best family hunts there is. If you want September learn how to call there are some great web sites and You tube. and watch as many Jim Shockey moose hunts. Just remember grizzlies have nothing on Moose.
    Twice Ive been parked in trees because of moose, Another time a stand off with an angry bull worked out for both of us.
    Archery or Rifle?
    One thing about moose hunts other deer an elk hunters are willing to say all sorts of things.
    I was put on my bull by elk hunters, and maybe 5 other shooters.
    upload_2020-5-25_12-16-19.jpeg

upload_2020-5-25_12-17-12.jpeg

Make sure you are our early morning and evening. Rest up mid day.
    It there are a lot of moose around wait for a nicer moose
    upload_2020-5-25_12-25-9.png

7. Honkerclan08

Awesome pictures and info. I plan to use Rifle. My season is August 30th-November 23rd. I’m planning two trips in September and then will hunt as much as I can until I fill the tag. I’m super excited for this opportunity. It’s my #1 bucket list hunt I have. I’ll probably won’t be saying that if I get the chance to pack one out. I am bringing a crew with me to help along the hunt. My goal is to call one during the rut. I think that’s the watefowler and turkey inside of me but I just look forward to this hunt.

8. Woodduck31

I would have felt better about that calling thing last august when we called those four bulls in if I had more than a fly rod in my hand. We heard some noise up on the bank about 60 yards away and Caleb started making a grunting noise. I asked him what he was doing and he said trying to make that moose noise. I told him "you are doing it wrong" and proceeded to demonstrate. Within a couple of minutes the biggest bull came right to us followed by progressively smaller bulls right into the river. As soon as they were upstream we pulled anchor and made a quiet getaway. It seemed like a good idea at the time and I really didn't think much of it when they were still in velvet, but did think about them wanting to stomp a hole in my boat. Oars and a drift boat didn't seem good for a fast getaway. We had a standoff with the pair in the pictures for about 30 minutes in October, we chose not to do any calling on that trip.

Honkerclan08 likes this.
  9. Honkerclan08

What area are you in?

10. Woodduck31