Idaho moose.

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by Honkerclan08, May 17, 2020.

1. Honkerclan08

Honkerclan08 Washington forum Moderator

We called a lot and covered a ton of ground. The East half had a lot of roads to travel by 4 wheelers. We found a lot of fresh sign but nothing during day light. There some great glassing points. I had 3 buddies and we would all go different directions scouting each day. Fun experience so far and I believe I will find one.

ZDOG likes this.
  2. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Hope you get your bull. Sounds like you are enjoying the hunt.

ZDOG likes this.
  3. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

The leaves should be down. and a bit of snow, and they are real easy to find. Are you finding cows?

The crazy thick willow patches just do the wack a canoe paddle thing.

4. Honkerclan08

Only seen 2 cows and the other person that has my tag saw quite a few cows early and they disappeared. I’m hoping this weather coming will change my luck some.

5. DoveMan

DoveMan Senior Refuge Member

I don't know if you can hunt after this front moves through, but looking at the forecast you'll have snow on the ground and frigid temps Sunday and Monday up there. The one time I hunted moose late season they stuck out like sore thumbs in clear cuts when it gets cold. If you can't find one in those type of conditions, the remainder of the season might be tough. Should be great for driving roads and looking for tracks. If you can find a post-rut bull track, odds are he's not to far away! Best of luck to you!

6. Honkerclan08

I’m going to be there next Wednesday-Saturday. I hope this weather helps. I’m excited to hunt the snow.

7. Honkerclan08

It finally happened. I got my bull on Friday morning. It was day 19 of hunting and this was the only bull I saw along with the one standing next to him. We were 10 miles behind a gate and about a mile from the ATV. It was an incredible experience and I’ve never hunted so hard in my life but I was rewarded greatly with a 42.5in bull. Thank you everyone for all the messages and reaching out with info. It was frustrating at times with broken 4 wheelers,Over heating ATV and using snow to fill the radiator, broken trailer axels and broken spirits at times but looking back on a once in a lifetime hunt, It just makes a better story for this moose. I’m doing a shoulder mount for the house with him. It was even cooler that it was just my dad and I that got to experience this hunt too.

Attached Files:

ZDOG, letmwurk and sdkidaho like this.
  8. Woodduck31

Woodduck31 Elite Refuge Member

congratulations, I've been following your story. Sounds like a great adventure, much better than the last moose hunt I went on with a friend who drew a tag. His hunt was, drove from Boise to Salmon, drove up on a ridge above a wide willow filled draw, spotted a moose, slept in the jeep, got up in the morning, shot the moose, drove over to the moose and quartered and put him in the truck. I like your hunt better.

9. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Congratulations!!! All the work was worth it.

10. 7bartman

7bartman Elite Refuge Member

Congrats on a great Shiras!