IDAHO SENATE PASSES BILL TO CUT WOLF POPULATION BY ABOUT 90%

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by JDK, Apr 26, 2021.

1. Woodduck31

Woodduck31 Elite Refuge Member

I've read that there are as many as 100 packs in Idaho. I quit bear hunting back in 2016, but up to that point we had lots of wolf pictures on our trail cams on two bait sites, two collared wolves, one in a black collar and this one pictured below. When I checked my bear back in 2013 they requested I send them the photos of the wolves I had on camera and they weren't sure what wolf had the light colored collar, it seemed to baffle them a bit. There were two overlapping packs in the area we were hunting and tracks were common and always amongst the elk tracks in the area. We only saw wolves in the spring bear season and we couldn't shoot them back then. I can say that once the hunt was established for wolves we started seeing a lot more elk in that area. One of the sows we had in that area lost one of her two cubs during the 2013 season, I was never sure if it was the boar I shot or a wolf that took the other cub.

1005077_602244043141531_932860608_n.jpg 53110553_2211737572421035_5756498680613961728_n.jpg

2. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

Trophy pics

I have yet to get wolves on trail camera

3. salthunter

I worry more about big game than livestock.
    Wolves nearly wiped out the moose population where we hunt.

127 ram US government sheep got killed in 3 nights near Monida.
    The pack was trapped and done for.
    Funny how that never made the news

4. Woodduck31

I used to have a lot more trophy pictures like that, lost 13,000 photos when my old computer burnt down. After photo bucket went to pay to play I just didn't keep up with keeping pictures online somewhere. Now I have a private facebook page where I store everything. Losing all those pictures was painful.

We did start seeing more elk once they opened the hunt on wolves in the area we baited. Had a guy who wanted to hunt with us one year have two opportunities in the fall to shoot a wolf while we were hunting, just couldn't get out of his own way. The last year we saw wolves out there was 2015. The most wolves we ever had on camera was 2, not exactly a pack, but it was spring and no doubt if you see one there are 6 more you don't see. We would see tracks on the dusty road up to our baits with hundreds of tracks mixed with elk, I'd suspect a half dozen or so wolves making the tracks. They are definitely a problem, but trapping is likely the only answer. Lots of incidental bear kills every hunting season, but still there are ton's of bears around. One year in a five mile stretch of back country and 4 bait sites we identified 34 different bears, I suspect the wolf population is doing just fine with a few incidental kills and I suspect the powers that be have no idea how many wolves are out there in the back country.

waterswatter and salthunter like this.
  5. ZDOG

ZDOG Senior Refuge Member

Anyone else get the new wolf regulations survey from the DFG? Is it me or does it seem like to many rules to really get the job done?

6. Woodduck31

I think there is only one way to manage wolves and that is trapping. It's a practical impossibility to get a trapping license now. You have to have a class certification and there aren't classes available for wolves. Classes for just trapping are generally filled since only 20 people are allowed per class, or they are several hundred miles away from what I see on fish and games website. When we moved out of the city 3 years ago I intended to trap coyotes, but found out I had to take a class which were already full for the year. It didn't matter that I had trapped for decades in Kansas before moving to Idaho. I think fish and game must want to control the numbers of trappers by making it difficult to get a license.

7. salthunter

8. ZDOG

Just so you know, the animal rights folks are spreading the yes or no survey about Idaho wolf control to their members to vote no on. Saw this online. So if you have an opinion now is the time to take the survey and express it.

9. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Link?

10. ZDOG

I got it originally from the DFG in an email. I suggest going on their website to find it. Ill look for it. The anti group put it out on social media last week.