Idaho to ban flooded crops?

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by Allan, Aug 10, 2018.

1. negooseman

negooseman Elite Refuge Member

if you can only kill 4-5 birds/season, I wouldn't even buy a license and go out of state for a long weekend and call it good.

2. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

I won’t disgree with you that ag practices have had an effect for sure. However, birds still need weather to migrate.

Most importantly is abundant waterfowl numbers and if flooded corn or crops does that then to me it trumps any downsides.

OneShotBandit likes this.
  3. buck_master_2001

Dude. Save your money and just do guided trips.

4. buck_master_2001

They were talking about expanding the MS flyway to 67 days at the January meeting..

pud123 likes this.
  5. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

I hear you. I count my blessings I no longer live in a state that ends in Carolina. Miserable waterfowl existence in the Atlantic flyway for the most part. Totally subjective of course. Some folks I know absolutely love it and think woodducks and bufflehead are actually waterfowl species. Joking! I am spoiled!
    No offense, but if I drove 4 hours every weekend to shoot 4 ducks over 2 years there would be 3 things possibly wrong with me.
    1. Insanity set in.
    2. I absolutely have no clue what I’m doing.
    3. I’m hunting alpine elk country.

6. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

Baiting is baiting, IMO it should all be outlawed. Why is one way of baiting legal and another is not? I've heard the habitat argument and that's a just BS reason to justify it. Other than the corn for bait it has nothing that moist soil areas do not and most likely less.

freefall likes this.
  7. buck_master_2001

The only time I’ve ever had a slaughter in flooded corn was when the weather was miserable and the birds pushed off their refuge to hit the flooded corn. Other then that it’s still hit or miss. Here, you need weather to entice them to move. If not they will sit in their safe places and hit the flooded crops at sundown and feed all night.

OneShotBandit likes this.
  8. blacktail

blacktail Elite Refuge Member

Heck, in the south their allowed to hunt ducks over live decoys. Fact

9. Billy Bob

Billy Bob Elite Refuge Member

It's all about managing the hunting pressure. We would hunt one side of the place (over 800 acres) then 2 days later we would hunt the other side so we hunted 3-4 days per week unless we had fresh birds, then we could pound the same blind for 2-4 days. It doesn't get cold here but the birds still move. They move more in our warm rains than they do in cold conditions.

10. 7summits

7summits Senior Refuge Member

WOW, so I have lost my voice because of where I live in this free country? Seriously?

freefall and Billy Bob like this.