IDFG seeking comment on proposed waterfowl changes!

Discussion in 'Idaho Flyway Forum' started by HaydenHunter, Mar 26, 2020.

1. DoveMan

DoveMan Senior Refuge Member

I think they sold out in under 30 seconds. Since the regional offices were closed, and I didn't trust the local vendor to be quick on the draw I went for the phone option. That was a mistake. If you call the phone option you have to listen to which elk tags are sold out, both resident and non-res for a good 3 minutes. Only after that do you get put to an operator. I got a lady on the line, told her what I wanted. At 9 am they came available and she added it to my cart. Took my CC # and then says "ohh something went wrong and it's not available". I said what can we do about this? She said "They must be sold out, this happens alot, usually with the elk tags, nothing I can do".

50 tags, open to non-res, and no draw system. It was easy to see that this would happen. I'm all for allowing non-res hunting, but a first ever swan tag? I doubt swan tag money means much compared to $400 non-res elk tags. IMO they should have done a draw, with the usual "up to 10% non-res".
    What a joke, kinda like opening duck season on a Monday...

2. Groundswat86

Groundswat86 Refuge Member

I’m glad IDFG finally changed up the season and starting on a Monday will be great for the opener. I just wish they would move the veteran/youth hunt to the end of the season and not so dang early.

3. seal

seal Elite Refuge Member

It wasn't that many years ago that IDFG told the IWA that they wouldn't go to the 31st because geese were already pair bonding in the middle of January. Apparently the geese have changed their mating habits OR IDFG just doesn't have a clue OR they just don't care.

4. salthunter

salthunter Moderator Moderator

The youth hunt can and should be as accommodating as possible for youth. Give the kids a chance. Make it easier for adults/mentors to provide a good hunt,.... an easier hunt.

Im aware some believe it to be unfair for the youth to have the easy-day "dumb" local birds.

Why even offer an end of the season hunt? The kid has had lots of better opportunities.

An end of season hunt does not and could never provide the problematic situations late season "provides". Taking kids and family on a 41 degree morning hunt in September compared to a January 17 degree morning becomes a matter of keeping warm, having a place to hunt and firearm safety.

I guess an end of season hunt could be easier: Walk out on the ice, never see a duck, no birds or gun to clean, heck no reason to take a gun or decoys, the ducks have been gone for months.
    Tens of thousands of acras of water-fowling is diminished to a mere fraction of open water, Camas, Market Lake, Mud Lake, Blackfoot, Alexander and dozens more eliminated.

Personally I think the date should be for youth only.

5. Groundswat86

Obviously you only hunt in East Idaho because on the other side of the state, later is always better. My son and I can both participate in this hunt and I think it’s cool they added the veteran option. I guess if you’re a kid it’s cool to hunt in September on a glorified dove hunt while wearing waders, shooting brown ducks that still have egg on their bills.

6. salthunter

Kids just want to hunt, or along,.. Just like fishing, or other game kids want a good time , they dont need pretty birds, 30 inch mulies, 6x6 bulls or 26 inch trout.
    Ive taken youth on a bunch of Idaho youth ( and fishing ) hunts and three other states youth hunts . Most kids hunt for totally different reasons than adult seasoned hunter
    Too many kids would have too many excuses and reasons not to hunt late season. Why would you want any kid waiting 100 days to go on a youth hunt

While I do hunt much of East Idaho Ive hunted each unit since 2000 as a resident and non resident

7. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Getting a crack at new / dumb birds in warm weather ups the success rate and ensures that kids' first hunting experience isn't a miserable freezeout. It's all about recruitment into the sport.

8. Groundswat86

I’m not disagreeing with you, but duck hunting is a cold miserable sport and should be embraced as such...jk kind of...in a perfect world the kids could hunt early and blast all the dumb ones and the veteran hunt would be at the end of the season.

In all seriousness I’m not worried about recruitment and could care less if they got rid of both options. Duck hunting seems like the new cool trend and every year I see more people. Access isn’t a problem because traditionally public land hasn’t been restricted. Perhaps it’s out of staters, but if you look at each state board the trend of increasing hunters is rising not declining.

9. salthunter

10. IFSteve

IFSteve Elite Refuge Member

I too dislike the early youth hunt. I get the whole just need them to be successful bit. But it also fails to teach them a major part of duck hunting and that is bird identification. And I have suggested this to the F&G before. If you are going to keep the season open so early then work with the Feds and change the rules for the youth hunt to just X number of ducks. Forget species and sex. The few ducks shot during the youth hunt really don't amount to anything in the overall total harvest. But what do you do when little Johnny shoots the wrong bird? Or third suzie? You mud stomp the illegal bird and just what does that teach them???

At the end of the day if it were up to me there would be zero special hunts for youth. They don't need to have their own day. I learned to hunt with my Dad and could have cared less about how much shooting I got. It was the mere fact that I was along with Dad doing what we loved to do.