Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

If Ducks Are So Stupid...

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by FriedPotatoes, Sep 28, 2019.

1. FriedPotatoes

FriedPotatoes Elite Refuge Member

I hear talk often about how dumb ducks are, and how fully flocked/realistic decoys are for hunters and not ducks. But it’s interesting to me how some parts of hunting give the ducks lots of credit. For instance, using clear decoy line, or having spreads that mimic the local populations, not having two decoys too close to each other, and how most guys aren’t good enough callers that their best course of action is to be quiet and not mess it up. I’m not saying that super realistic decoys are always necessary, but I bet the same guys who say those decoys are for hunters also emphasize some of the same things above.

Meach likes this.
  2. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

I changed tactics last year and started bunching up my decoys. Worked like a charm. They get tossed in one blob now basically or several tight groups.

Sunklands, JRS and Billy Bob like this.
  3. Steelshot Scott

Steelshot Scott Elite Refuge Member

Ducks are not smart, but they are wary. They are observant. They have good eyesight and they use it to survive. They avoid that which looks unfamiliar.

4. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

I don't use flocked duck decoys. I don't worry about mimicking the local species mix, but I do care about visibility. I don't worry about specific decoy spacing, but do care they are set in such a way they are noticed and will position the birds for a good shot. As to calling, has nothing to do with bird intelligence. It has to do with learning what the pea-brained ducks respond to and executing that to position them for a shot.

Ducks, like geese and turkeys, are dumb. But, like geese and turkeys, they are scared because every predator in North America is trying to make them dinner from egg to grave. Don't confuse behavior with intelligence.

5. da fowl slayer

da fowl slayer Elite Refuge Member

After many years of killing the snot out of ducks let me give you 2 tips to killing more

Put your decoys where light hits first
    Put your decoys where they catch the most wind

6. Mr. Chokesonducks

Mr. Chokesonducks Elite Refuge Member

Exactly. Up here public hunting, trying to bring in migrators we set huge spreads of goose floaters out in the open. It’s all about visibility and them seeing your spread first.

metalworx and bill cooksey like this.
  7. FriedPotatoes

FriedPotatoes Elite Refuge Member

I’m not saying they’re intelligent, I’m referring to other people who often say they’re dumb, which is a remark on their intelligence.

My unscientific, completely unfounded theory is that they learn patterns more than anything, and don’t have the ability to conceptualize that Someone is using fake ducks to trick them. I think they flare when they something abnormal really sticks out, just like you essentially said, they live their lives in paranoia. My simple point is I find it contradictory that some guys insist nice looking decoys aren’t useful, but then won’t sit in the blind if one decoy string is sticking out of the water. It’s also interesting that 3 real ducks will consistently attract more birds than 200 real ones, there must be something to it.

Sacalait54 likes this.
  8. Mr. Chokesonducks

Mr. Chokesonducks Elite Refuge Member

Ducks overall are not one of the most intelligent birds. Read up on ravens. Their intelligence is almost on the order of primates. After hunting crows, it’s evident they are very intelligent and make duck hunting look like light work.

CanardNoir and Pastor like this.
  9. da fowl slayer

Next tip

STAY STILL!!!!!

10. da fowl slayer

Ducks are habitual and trainable
    That’s where it all ends
    Ducks that have been around you will have a hard time finishing

So shoot em at 30 yards or forever hold your peace if it’s not your thing

On days when you see new ducks call em right to the water and do your thing and be greedy

When your working groups bigger than 6-7 ducks don’t be greedy
    When they get close and bug out it’s go time or it’s over

Numbers = Lots of eyes =tough
    We try to finish small groups even if they are stale

Decoy movement is imperative to finish that’s why in on windy days you think your the best caller in the world

Go paint 200 bleach bottles flat black and give us a report
    You’ll be surprised very surprised

I like to set my farms up near refuges
    I plant food and set aside sanctuary areas that I don’t hunt

So I let the birds build daily habits of going from the refuge to my sanctuary

After they become comfortable with that habit I set up between the two

After several hunts the daily habitual users lock up on the spread and zero in only to say uh oh DONT GO IN THERE they shot our butts yesterday

AND THATS FINE ! we don’t shoot at em when they bug out because I don’t want them to stop that habitual daily pattern of going from the refuge to my sanctuary

But here is what gets interesting . The refuges gain and and lose birds daily . When new birds get up and follow the daily habitual travelers they follow

And they have not seen our game and while our stake birds sail on to my sanctuary the new ones they fall right in and eat it up and we look like the best hunters in America

If you shoot the sanctuary GAME OVER for it all . And if you don’t let em build that habit it won’t happen either

The brand and type of decoys matters not

And 3dz decoys yields us limits on many days

If I wanted to trafic traveling ducks not using my farm I would set massive spreads to get em to break down
    Don’t mean they will finish but it gives us a shot
    Competition in our area is like nowhere I have ever hunted

There are blinds every 500 yards for 100’s of mile in every direction in west ten up and down every river system

Last edited: Sep 28, 2019