If you could only bring 2 things to eat or drink in the blind what would it be

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by MarshmanDon, Feb 7, 2020.

1. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

Black coffee (preferably Sumatra blend) and a bologna & American cheese on whole grain bread, oops w/Maricle Whip! :yes

2. OneShotBandit

Yeah, but Rick most of you Southern boys are done by 9:00 am! ;)

3. OneShotBandit

:eek: Dude: NO CATSUP on hotdogs- you Heathen! :l Just relating what my Chi-town buddies told me (I loath catsup anyway). ;)

jjgoose and salthunter like this.
  4. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Pretty big on camp brunch, too. But I can't call and eat at the same time and don't want to be the poor bastage draining coffee beside the blind when birds show.

5. OneShotBandit

riverrat47 likes this.
  6. OneShotBandit

I'm hip! when we were first getting into waterfowl hunting we'd take the old K-Mart 29 cent (?) subs, I'm the only that called (if you could call it that ;)) and had a mouth full of sub & here came 5 Mallards. I never spit out food so fast in my life! :l My call was crap after that! :l

MarshmanDon likes this.
  7. Pudgey gopher

Pudgey gopher New Member

We have a long standing tradition of bringing DBS (Duck Boat Sandwhich). When we hunted as kids my Grandmother didn't want us to go hungry. She would make overnight buns on Thursday night. When we got to the farm after school on Friday. We would sit down with her and make DBS. DBS making was a great time to visit and talk about what was going on with our lives and the upcoming weekend's hunting.

We would make the DBS in assembly line fashion. One person cut the buns. One Buttered and two would add the cheese and meat and two would wrap. DBS's where an overnight bun cut and buttered on both top and bottom slice. This is important cause no one likes a dry DBS. The meat was either sliced baloney, country ham, or summer sausage. Cheese was any creamy sliced cheese. All wrapped in wax paper.

Each kid would get a bread sack full of these wrapped nuggets of stomach filling yum. We had enough to last all weekend. I kept my bread sack full of DBS in my dads truck. When going into the field I carried water and coffee in my shell bag and four DBS in my coat pockets. The wax paper kept them fresh for almost a full week. We never went hungry or got whiny waiting for supper.

My wife now makes the overnight buns. My nephews and sons now sit down on Friday evening and make DBS. I also now, fully appreciate why my Grandmother put the effort into this. My wife and I hear learn about what's happening with the kids. Even though my wife doesn't hunt, she says she feels apart of the hunt knowing we will think of her when we dig a DBS out of a pocket, and hearing and seeing our excitement the night before a hunt.

Athos likes this.
  8. seiowa

seiowa Elite Refuge Member

Mini shooters of fireball, some type of tobacco product and Caseys breakfast pizza

stevena198301 and Birdcrazy like this.
  9. Birdcrazy

Birdcrazy Elite Refuge Member

A can of dip is a must...always...:tu

10. sleeping_dogs

sleeping_dogs Elite Refuge Member

I always bring plenty of water and keep a small jar of instant coffee and creamer in my blind bag. During the Holidays I’ll usually have something special (county ham or bacon) to share if anyone wants to cook.