Illinois Rifles for Deer

Spanky03

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I screwed up and bought the Ruger American in .350 Legend last year in anticipation. My son used it for deer here in Arkansas and wasn’t impressed with the knockdown power. Now I see I can even use it because it has a magazine. POS anyway. There ain’t no way in hell I’m buying a single shot rifle to deer hunt with. Been using my 870 for 30 years with no complaints. Guess I’m sticking with it. Remington stopped production of copper solid. I’ve been buying peoples slugs off of gunbroker. Might either switch to accutip or Hornady.

Dw32005

Reaction score
I screwed up and bought the Ruger American in .350 Legend last year in anticipation. My son used it for deer here in Arkansas and wasn’t impressed with the knockdown power. Now I see I can even use it because it has a magazine. POS anyway. There ain’t no way in hell I’m buying a single shot rifle to deer hunt with. Been using my 870 for 30 years with no complaints. Guess I’m sticking with it. Remington stopped production of copper solid. I’ve been buying peoples slugs off of gunbroker. Might either switch to accutip or Hornady.
You can put a bob sled in the magazine if they make it for the ruger.

I made an AR pistol last year in 300 blk out just for fun. Emailed my game warden to make sure the build was good. Used a 10 round mag i think with a bob sled, the warden even told me that i could leave the gas block and tube intact for self ejecting. It just can’t load itself again from the action of shooting.

Edit
I wouldn’t be against trying a dowel rod or something to keep the magazine from accepting any rounds either. Might be a little rougher on the extractor though.

Buckhunter99

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
This is what Indiana did to test the waters for awhile and now we have full rifle season but on state property you must still use straight wall rounds. I ended up getting a Ruger M77 in 44mag and loved it. Still have it sitting in the gun safe. Many people went to the single shot 44Mag especially for kids due to the recoil. I sighted mine in for 100 yards. Granted I use to have my shotgun sighted in for that same distance but I was able to shoot the same without getting the crap kicked out of me every time.

wildfowl4444

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
The Ruger American for .350 uses AR mags to start with so a Bobsled (or mag modified with a single shot block) is the fix for $40 or less
You can put a bob sled in the magazine if they make it for the ruger.

I made an AR pistol last year in 300 blk out just for fun. Emailed my game warden to make sure the build was good. Used a 10 round mag i think with a bob sled, the warden even told me that i could leave the gas block and tube intact for self ejecting. It just can’t load itself again from the action of shooting.

Edit
I wouldn’t be against trying a dowel rod or something to keep the magazine from accepting any rounds either. Might be a little rougher on the extractor though.

Spanky03

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
.444 Marlin would be legal correct?

wildfowl4444

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Yes, the .444 Marlin is legal

DANNY NEWELL

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I don't know much about rifles,but isn't a .444 kind of over kill for deer?

Danny

Spanky03

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it probably is too much for deer but I’m trying to figure out the new law. Since I’ll be out of copper solid in a few years I’ll make the switch to accutips if the Wingmaster likes them. The super slug shoots them well. This weekend I tested the hornady SST. I will never say anything bad about hornady but Wingmaster threw them all over the target. Next weekend I’m going to shoot the accutips and federals sabots to see. But, I need to get ready for the day when sabot slugs are history. We shot 2 deer with the 350 legend in arkansas last year and it seriously lacked knockdown hard hitting I was anticipating. Could be the XP tip on the winchesters, could be shot placement. Both deer died but didn’t even act like they were hit. Literally, one cull buck walked off 10 ft and laid down. That one was a “dead spot” hit about 11 o’clock of the shoulder.