I'm told Kansas is Mecca for mallards. Guide suggestions?

Sdduck

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. We have a small crew that would love to get a "lifetime" hunt in next season so we're trying to lock down a location and dates. We're being told Kansas is the Mallard Mecca. Do you guys have a great guide suggestion? If we're going all the way out to Kansas we'd like to do it right with the right guide.
Central Kansas outdoors

Click

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Actually alot of the guys here are really awesome people and would help except when you are constantly bit by the same dog would you keep trying to let it bite you or put it down. Said it before, oos simply comes in and trashes places, literally, sky busts everything cause why not they came to shoot , etc etc etc. This won’t be popular to say but the military officers by me do the same thing. Their temporary so screw it they do what they want. Lost more than one spot the farmer let them on and they drove their overcompensating trucks all over and ripped stuff up.

I will say this that some of military folks around a fort that won't be named, have no problem finding an killing birds..they just don't know how to keep things quiet and seem to bring their whole battalion to the field. Needless to say between that an lots time off they can sure burn em out fast..

Most are at least decent enough to give a guy elbow room though..but there's always a few...

Duckinator

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
TRUTH!

JP

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I can see several more states adopting NR restrictions along the lines of South Dakota, North Dakota and Arkansas. As Texas (in particular) and a couple others continue to see an influx of migrants from high COL states, they tend to equate costs of those where they came from and hence think paying $50/acre a relative bargain. Couple this with the fact that urbanites are willing to pay $500+\day for their pilgrimage excursions and it’s no wonder locals get priced out of the market. We’ve had/have pro athletes doing that here in Oklahoma for quite some time. It’s capitalism however driven by new participants with no idea they are paying a King’s Ransom for their “outdoor experience”.

IMO, the single most impactful change that will improve overall waterfowling quality on a regional scale is one simple rule.

No planted crops (of any type) can be artificially flooded. This includes such activities on PHA’s as well. The science indicates a “moist soil management” approach yields the historical perineal plant growth that waterfowl actually prefer.

Granted, the political aspect of achieving such a change is formidable given the economic forces that will oppose such a shift in conservation tactics however, that is the fight that must be taken up. It will have to be engaged in Rome (D. C.) as the federal level is where the desired results will be most effective.

Click

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
It would some very very very deep pockets to gat that change done. I don't think we'll ever see that, but ya never know.

Never has really made sense to me you can put water on the food if you can afford to,but God help ya if you're caught putting food in water.

Tuleman

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
No planted crops (of any type) can be artificially flooded.

While that would certainly help the hunting pressure situation, JP, I think most WMA managers would oppose it as removing a major tool from their wetlands management tool belt.
Just like reducing the daily bag limit to 3/3, a "no flooding" rule would also negatively affect too many resident hunters who want their hunts as easy and as heavy as possible.
While either, or both, of these ideas could become reality in the years to come (and one of them inevitably will), I doubt you and I will see it.

Small Bore Hunter

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. We have a small crew that would love to get a "lifetime" hunt in next season so we're trying to lock down a location and dates. We're being told Kansas is the Mallard Mecca. Do you guys have a great guide suggestion? If we're going all the way out to Kansas we'd like to do it right with the right guide.[/QUOTEg

Go to Stan Jones at Alica, AR if you want a "lifetime" hunt. He is expensive but you will be treated like kings. Duck hunting is expensive almost anyway you approach it but there are a lot of opportunities on public ground if you find the right place at the right time that is not expensive but it will probably crowded. Flooded corn is another sore subject but if the more fortunate hunters did not plant corn what would they feed on. Years ago the corn sheller and combines left a lot of grain in the field and these fields were not leased like now. Ducks fed in lots of fields and you just hunted where the ducks were. Now run the river and look at the posted signs. I have some friends that would not give a dime to DU and only want to lease a spot if it's cheap and has ducks every day. Remember the old saying "you get what you pay for".

Woody

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
As a military guy who’s been around the block a few times finding places to hunt when you move every two to three years is tough. I agree, there are POS who don’t respect landowners and the resource. However, I think it’s a little unfair to group everyone into that stereotype. I’ve pulled aside and mentored plenty of young Soldiers about the perception they leave for the entire military when they act like jackwipes on public hunting areas.

I was first stationed in KS in 94 and been stationed there 3x since. The quality of waterfowling has definitely gone down, for a lot of reasons and the hunting pressure has surely increased exponentially. But it’s like that everywhere.

I’ll be coming back this summer and can’t wait. You think it’s gotten bad in KS, try duck hunting on the east coast. :(

Hope to see you out there, there’s always room for someone with me, I just like to be outside. You only get offered so many sunrises in your life, might well see as many as you can.

Woody