Virginia Flyway Forum Sponsors

In before Little Ruddy.....

Discussion in 'Virginia Flyway Forum' started by markd, Jun 28, 2020.

1. Valleyhonker

Valleyhonker Senior Refuge Member

I got it as well. Selected similar to markd, I’d be in favor of an E/W or N/S zone to extend hunting opportunities. I believe we could forward you the email and you could take it too. I sent it on to a couple hunting partners.

2. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

If I get it I'll let you fill out the answers for say $20?

3. Little Ruddy

Little Ruddy Elite Refuge Member

Hey,someone send me the link so I can participate, Creeds I am all about making money and support your way of thinking,but I'm running short this month,you know the answers to put down on the test. Thanks in advance for the water fowler who sends it my way!

creedsduckman likes this.
  4. LEWDOG

LEWDOG Elite Refuge Member

Ok I haven't changed for i still don't want zone hunting. Try to convince me that I am wrong . I don't hunt outside of Mathews out of fixed blinds that I have hunted my whole life . Don't hunt for the meat but rather the knowledge and skill . Hunt mostly alone during most times of the day . I didn't want Sunday hunting but once we got it I was forced to hunt them for 60 days was 60 days . Now I read that one of those questions was asking would you be OK with less days for zone hunting, H3LL NO and if less days are force on me I will be an outlaw . I would be okay with hunter's that want zone hunting to buy into it as lone as they can only hunt one zone with a double fine for violation .

5. Little Ruddy

Ok,I think zones would be good because migratory birds pass by at different times and regions in the state. Here on the coast, we get the calendar ducks in October and November. The region's West of say Rt 17 do not see these birds. By adjusting the dates for specific areas, you are giving hunters the best chance of seeing waterfowl. I can't vouch for The rest of The state, but I'm sure there are some on here that would like to fine tune the dates in areas they hunt. There is zones for geese, why not for ducks?
    I have no problem with other hunters coming across the state to hunt a coastal zone, if you can find a legal spot...go for it!

Farm4wildlife likes this.
  6. LEWDOG

Not finding a legal spot hasn't stop them before . People with money will always win , they will be the first to say give us zones and feel free to cut the 60 day season in half knowing they will still get the 60 by spending the money . We all know that the state will be all for selling the zone permits .

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  7. top o va

top o va Senior Refuge Member

Zones or not we are going to see shorter seasons in the near future. I’d also be willing to bet that with date overlap on zones we would see 10-14 additional days statewide based on a 60 day season...max.

Farm4wildlife likes this.
  8. Little Ruddy

I agree with that top. This fly way is suffering and I'm not sure if the correct answer to fix it, other than shorten the season.
    I agree with you too Ld. Money is the controlling factor these days BUT,
    after hunting the same blinds for over forty years and seeing the same thing every year at the same time each year, I know what's going on in the marsh. And the current seasons are NOT working in my particular area. Just look at N C season this year,more days in November then ever before. What good is a 60 day season if its at the wrong time and half of it is EMPTY skies? My areas have a two week season with the current dates we have in October and november.after that, we won't shoot a handful of birds the rest of the season cause they have passed on by...long gone!
    The *perfect " season for me would be October 15-November 30,then last two weeks in January if its warm for a reverse migration. If it's cold then,forget it We are done for the year as it forced what stragglers we have out,due to lack of food. And that's the history of hunting The salt marsh in Bull Island.

9. LEWDOG

I'm with you on all of it LR but one thing I do know about dwr is they are always going to be for the good of wildlife and never for the good of the gunners. The only way we hunters are going to get to hunt non resident waterfowl while the birds are here is with reduced bag limits and less days . Then if zone hunting get force into play they are going close low number birds and stop hen shooting.
    The End is near with guns and if I'm still drawing a breath I will be still toting decoys to the blind and calling for a shot with a bow while most others will be crying the blues in there cornflakes.

10. Little Ruddy

I would starve to death with a stick and string, have a hard enough time with a shotgun ha ha!