Duck Hunters' Forum Sponsors

In Line Muzzleloader ?????

Discussion in 'The Duck Hunters Forum' started by mnducker, Jan 30, 2012.

1. mnducker

mnducker Senior Refuge Member

I'm going to plan for a elk hunt to Colorado, and see that they require the muzzleloader to be an " in line" without a scope for their muzzleloader season.
    What recomendations do you have on a reasonably priced in line loader??
    I know nothing about them, so I want to get your comments
    Thanks, AL

2. pennywise67

pennywise67 Elite Refuge Member

T/C Omega is a good one. Lots of ones out there.

Also check the regs for Colorado, I dont think they let you use a sabot bullet either. My brother lives there and is big time flintlock hunter, and I remember him mentioning something like that when we were discussing black powder hunting.

3. maxx

maxx Elite Refuge Member

I believe you have to use loose powder and not sabot bullets but you can use the CVA Powerbelts.

Some people like them some hate them.

4. DocRay

DocRay Elite Refuge Member

They require it to be inline but won't let you use sabots? :scratch I understand they aren't linked but inline is fairly "modern"...

5. widgeon

widgeon Elite Refuge Member

I don't think they require an in-line, it just has to load through the muzzle, not the breech. You also have to use loose powder I think and there are bullet restrictions.

If it were me, I'd get a 54cal. hawken type rifle.

6. tripleb

tripleb Elite Refuge Member

Apparently, the "inline" muzzleloader has been around for quite a while (1808) .... though not in the form we normally see them. They, like the "underhammer" and "side slapper" were in existence, but fairly uncommon. Perhaps that's why the state allows the use of an inline action, but not the plastic saboted bullets. Maybe if they were lead and paper patched, they'd be legal? I remember some states allowed the use of patched round balls only or lead conicals not more than 1 1/2 times as long as it was wide.

Better check with the state as to exactly what is legal in terms of sights, action, projectiles, propellant, etc., before you go out.

7. DocRay

DocRay Elite Refuge Member

I understand that... what I was saying is the OP might be mistaken. Before I went and dropped $400-500 on something I "think" is right, I'd make sure it was. :)

8. Extex

Extex Elite Refuge Member

You have to use open sights. Not sure about the loose powder rule. No sabot allowed I believe. There is another rule about the bullet length which I can not remember the exact wording but you should be able to find it and all the regs here.

http://wildlife.state.co.us/RulesRegs/Pages/Regs.aspx

I own 2 Knights, an Apex, Omega and a Triumph - they would all be legal in colorado without the scopes on them. Not sure where Knight is as a business but they and the Apex & TC's drive tacks - cant go wrong with those IMO. If I was going to only ML hunt in Colorado then my caliber of choice for conicals would be a 45 - I think it performs better if you have to stretch it out there but then you run into the 1 1/2 times length rule that may be there.

9. MACHINE

MACHINE Elite Refuge Member

ever heard of a White muzzloader ?

I have one in .54 cal

damn good one but in-line and harder to clean

I bought a break open style

10. canpoint

canpoint Elite Refuge Member

TC Omega for the $$$. I've got two and love them, easy to clean!!