California Flyway Forum Sponsors

In search of a good dog vest

Discussion in 'California Flyway Forum' started by sdhunter, Jul 23, 2019.

1. sdhunter

sdhunter Elite Refuge Member

For years, I used a Cabelas neoprene dog vest with velcro, it was awesome and lasted years. Since my new dog is smaller, I've tried a couple of other brands, and they haven't lasted a year. I've tried the Browning and the RedHead ones. Cabelas discontinued theirs and I'm looking for some good alternatives. They come apart at the top of the neck and just rip along he seams for the most part.
    Mostly rice blind hunting, may do some boat hunting...

Thanks in advance on any experiences!

2. yankeegray

yankeegray Senior Refuge Member

Not a big fan of Avery but my Avery bost vesr has held up great for years

freefall likes this.
  3. Dek

Dek Elite Refuge Member

I've tried and given up on finding one that fits. Seems like if I get one that fits the chest there is a huge gap around the neck which to me is a huge negative in deep water. Can't do anything but restrict a dogs swimming swimming ability from the drag. Other than in the north east areas, it never really gets cold for a dog around here. Course most of you guys have labs, so maybe it does:dv

4. green with ring

green with ring Elite Refuge Member

It's real easy to custom fit a dog vest. Just cut out the area that's to loose or cut the area that needs to be bigger and add a bigger piece of neoprene. Use liquid contact cement (Walmart $5.00) to instantly bond the neoprene back together. The new seam is super strong, flexible, waterproof and will never come apart. I have done this countless times. To make the vest larger you will need extra neoprene. I've replaced zippers/velcro to fit the dog better, closed the big gap on top of the dogs front shoulders. You can cut through stitched seams then seal them up and the stitching won't come unraveled. You can use it on neoprene waders too (doesn't work on rubber boots).

Fowler267 and somemush like this.
  5. Ryan

Ryan Elite Refuge Member

Rig Em Right gear seems to be a step up in quality from most other brands in my experience with their products. I don't own one of their dog vests yet but the next vest I buy will be from them.

Nvhunter and Flyfisher like this.
  6. duck dawg

duck dawg Senior Refuge Member

I started using the Rig Em Right vest and really like it. It fits better than any other vest without having to alter it.

Nvhunter likes this.
  7. Big Daddy Gaddy

Big Daddy Gaddy Elite Refuge Member

A generous forum member hooked me up with a Rivers West retriever vest. It’s a trip. It’s waterproof fleece with flotation sewn in...not neoprene. The demon shredded neoprene vests like it was his goal in life. The best vests never lasted more than a season. I haven’t had enough field time with this RW to attest to its durability...but there is no way it’s going to rip like neoprene. Hard to hold it and think it’s much of anything...but I think it’s probably the best I’ll ever use and I would have never in a million years bought one. Now I’ll probably never buy anything else.

Fowler267 likes this.
  8. sdhunter

sdhunter Elite Refuge Member

Thank you Gents, I will take a close look at RigEm and Rivers West. The Rivers West product is intriguing.

9. Big Daddy Gaddy

Big Daddy Gaddy Elite Refuge Member

I took it out yesterday and really scrutinized it. Paper thin compared to neoprene, but very strong fabric. Has some stretch to it as well. Decent zipper covered by Velcro flap. I put it on the dog and picked her up by it...wish it had handles, but other than that I’m initially impressed.

10. J.Bennett

J.Bennett Elite Refuge Member

Apologies for the hijack, but...

Anyone know of a good camo vest that is cut to fit pointers? My lab is going to be "semi-retired" this season, so I'll probably be taking my GWP out quite a bit. I realize that you can alter the vests out there, but for the amount of alterations that I would have to do to get any of the vests that I've checked to fit close to correctly, I may as well by some material and have a seamstress make me one from scratch.