Increasing Pattern Density - What would you do?

Buster_AZ

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
In busters first pic the pattern could be2 inches or more to the right and still not put pellets in the meat.

This is not something that is going to be simulated with clays......clays do not hang like a balloon over the decoys.
I will agree that clays can not completely emulate wild birds, but sporting clay courses that are designed specifically to present targets at various angles and directions are the best practice available. My local course has stations with incoming clays as well as crossers that simulate what one may experience in the field.

In regard to the thread’s title and the original question, I believe the pattern density should be such that the bird’s head and neck can not pass through without being struck by a few pellets. Along this line, a tight pattern can blow up the body if struck directly and too close.

This is just off season banter and there’s more than one way to skin a cat, but here’s a common diagram from hunter-ed.com.

DFE4F4B0-3AFF-43FE-A52A-CA4C137B21D5.jpeg

Personally, I do not wish to have the bird take the whole “desirable pattern” completely. When it does occur, the bird is usually not worth plucking, since the body is beat up. Maybe someone who desires to strike the body of the bird wishes to have a looser pattern, but I’m in the full pattern camp.

Last edited:

Billy hill

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Billy Bob someone wrote in post 81 if you can dust clays then they can headset ducks and geese...conversely if you can head shot ducks and geese then dust clays. My machine holds 540 clays. Buster your welcome too if yyou fish for salmon

Billy Bob

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Billy Bob someone wrote in post 81 if you can dust clays then they can headset ducks and geese...conversely if you can head shot ducks and geese then dust clays. My machine holds 540 clays. Buster your welcome too if yyou fish for salmonp
Offer me a duck hunt to show how it's done...

With the eye damage I have I don't shoot anything without a pulse. It's not worth the risk. My eye issues have long been a subject here. I will head shoot a few ducks with the .410 though.

Reactions: JP

Billy Bob

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I will agree that clays can not completely emulate wild birds, but sporting clay courses that are designed specifically to present targets at various angles and directions are the best practice available. My local course has stations with incoming clays as well as crossers that simulate what one may experience in the field.

In regard to the thread’s title and the original question, I believe the pattern density should be such that the bird’s head and neck can not pass through without being struck by a few pellets. Along this line, a tight pattern can blow up the body if struck directly and too close.

This is just off season banter and there’s more than one way to skin a cat, but here’s a common diagram from hunter-ed.com.

View attachment 332752

Personally, I do not wish to have the bird take the whole “desirable pattern” completely. When it does occur, the bird is usually not worth plucking, since the body is beat up. Maybe someone who desires to strike the body of the bird wishes to have a looser pattern, but I’m in the full pattern camp.
Not disagreeing with most of that but I've never seen a shot that represents a duck hanging over the decoys. Mylar balloons anyone? :l

Native NV Ducker

Mod-Duck Hunters Forum, Classifieds, and 2 others
Reaction score
Not disagreeing with most of that but I've never seen a shot that represents a duck hanging over the decoys.

Our 5-Stand has one. House is way out in front, 80-100 yards. Bird comes right at you, maybe a little left of center. Depending on how the angle it set that day, it can float almost straight down. Just like a decoy duck.
1646363057863.png

Just a pic of our 5-Stand. Those clays would settle right in line with the right edge of the photo.

Ravenanme

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Billy Bob pass shooting on the Beach is different than "real" calling birds and being on the X is a real treat for those of us ,who hunt where the
birds want to be ! We take great pride in setting out a inviting decoy-spread and along with experience of reading birds , those 20 yd shots are
typical for some of us . I applaud you for shooting a 410 and with your experience of knowing , which load works best for you but , even us
on those stale bird days , will reach into our shell bags , for the ammo that evens the playing field for birds hanging closer to 50 ! That takes
a heck of a lot different constriction than it takes for 20 yd shots !

Billy hill

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Billy Bob. Absolutely consider hunt offered. We can walk to the bay from my house. Mostly widgeon early season. I seriously didn't know you didn't shoot clays. You mentioned it in post #81 as if you did. Apologies. And yes I will write you pre season if you will drive this far

Ravenanme

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Our 5-Stand has one. House is way out in front, 80-100 yards. Bird comes right at you, maybe a little left of center. Depending on how the angle it set that day, it can float almost straight down. Just like a decoy duck.
View attachment 332754
Just a pic of our 5-Stand. Those clays would settle right in line with the right edge of the photo.

Wow what a beautiful place to shoot !! I have shot Sporting and 5 Stand along with other events at some wonderful places , it was at Mesquite ,Nv
that I had to work really hard to shoot a good score ( good enough ) to win my class . The high bluffs where targets were launched and the days
wind thermals played a big part of , the winners and losers . Sage Hill , Capital City and Coyote Springs would give you all you wanted . Ben Avery
was a real treat all on flat ground but the wind would make you realize , they were there for those who stayed in their game ! I still say , targets
thrown a Walker River (at one time) were championship targets , had they been setup by Norm , who was a mischievous ******* but I loved him dearly !!

Billy hill

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Ravin not sure why you make the judgment on hunting the beach is just pass shooting...silly... I call widgeon, pins and teal all the time to the spread. Seems "real" to me. Usually 10 to 15 peel off the flock and finish like they are on a string. I'd shoot trap with you but prob not birds. Prob embarass me

Billy Bob

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Billy Bob pass shooting on the Beach is different than "real" calling birds and being on the X is a real treat for those of us ,who hunt where the
birds want to be ! We take great pride in setting out a inviting decoy-spread and along with experience of reading birds , those 20 yd shots are
typical for some of us . I applaud you for shooting a 410 and with your experience of knowing , which load works best for you but , even us
on those stale bird days , will reach into our shell bags , for the ammo that evens the playing field for birds hanging closer to 50 ! That takes
a heck of a lot different constriction than it takes for 20 yd shots !
Are you saying I pass shoot? I can't tell if you're saying similar to what I am or not. I keep the choke business simple. I've always used a tube that produces a 70%+ pattern and since I started with the .410 the remchoke full never leaves the barrel. I guess I'm lot diffent than 99% of you guys in that I rarely take longer shots unless Im testing the effectiveness of the ammo. I pass on a ton of shots in range, always have.