Inline Muzzloader powder preferences

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by SkolMNDuckHunter, Feb 27, 2020.

1. mudhen

mudhen Elite Refuge Member

Zero issues with BH209 in several different guns...zero...

2. SkolMNDuckHunter

SkolMNDuckHunter Senior Refuge Member

That's incredible. I've heard the pellets chip and suck moisture over time. Were those pellets freshly purchased?

3. duckbuster5901

duckbuster5901 Elite Refuge Member

Standard shotgun Win. 209,s is all I,ve used. Most of your fowling does come from primers though. They actualy make a conversion for encores that a 25 cal. primed pistol case sets off your charge . This is to reduce primer fowling. Can,t comment on the below 20 degree question as I don,t think its ever got that cold during our early muzzle ldr. season

4. Farm4wildlife

Farm4wildlife Elite Refuge Member

I haven't had issues with temps in the teens. Don't know that I have shot it below that.

If concerned load the gun and set it in a chest freezer for a while, then shoot it.

I really don't like pellets because you can't tailor a load to the gun. You can get really good accuracy out of most of these muzzleloaders now, but pellets don't make it as easy. A few grains can really make the difference.

5. creedsduckman

creedsduckman Elite Refuge Member

Yes they were fresh. I bought the gun and everything to go with it at the same time. I tried very hard to make sure the gun didn't sweat and if I had any doubt I reloaded before I hunted again. I left some discarded powder pellets on the counter in my garage after reloading and they definitely took on some moisture when the garage floor would sweat. I asked my brother how long the powder would last and he said he usually bought new every 2 years.

6. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

I’ve got a pic somewhere of 3 shots at 100 from a CVA, 2-white hots, and a harvester bullet/sabot combo that look just like that. Two in same hole, and one cutting the first two. Bud was watching trace on a Kowa spotter....I though he was jerking my chain.

Point is: find something the particular gun likes, and roll with it.....even if it is pellets

creedsduckman likes this.
  7. Soggy Socks

Soggy Socks Senior Refuge Member

I like to tinker with loads that's one reason I went to loose powder but what other guys have said works too. We killed a lot of deer with 777 pellets never had a Shockwave or Hornady bullet bounce off a deer. If I had left over 777 pellets I stored them in a dry area never had problems with that either. Good luck

8. Stormer

Stormer Senior Refuge Member

Federal 209A are the hottest primers available. I used them in black powder and now in my T/C Encore/Bergara smokeless. I also used to knurl my bullets, helped tighten up the groups-consistently. Go to Doug's Message Boards and you can find a lot of information.

9. illinideer

illinideer Refuge Member

Blackhorn 209 in my optima ver 1. Blackhorn breech plug I run a 90grains vol with a 300grain hornady nonmag xtp 45cal bullet in a harvester sabot. I shot 10 times just to see if it would become difficult to load. 10th shot loaded just like the first to see if there claim had any merit. Excellent accuracy easy clean up with eds red. 0 issues in cold weather cci 209 mag primer
    J

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  10. bird junkie

bird junkie Elite Refuge Member

I left my encore loaded with a charge of 777 on the back deck from December till July and gun fired no issue. I have used pellets 5 yrs old just stored in the container and have never had an issue with them not going off.