Instinctive Shooting

Discussion in 'Shooting - Reloading Forum' started by rjones2306, Jul 17, 2020.

1. rjones2306

rjones2306 Refuge Member

We all have our own definition of instinctive shooting. “See Bird-Shoot Bird” is one description which seems to encapsulate this shotgun shooting technique. Many believe the English Side by Side Shotgun, with straight grip & sliver forend, is the gun design best suited to situations when the subconscious brain executes the shot. I have my own thoughts on this topic:

https://crazy4goldens.godaddysites.com/f/the-side-by-side-shotgun-instinctive-shooting

see if you agree.

Ron

2. derbyacresbob

derbyacresbob Senior Refuge Member

If a side by side has a advantage over a Over Under it can't be by much.

At all of the big Trap, Skeet and Sporting Clays shoots I don't think 1% of the shotguns used are side by side shotguns.

3. Gander

Gander Elite Refuge Member

Completely disagree with almost everything in the article. The start off, there is no such thing as instinctive shooting. We are not born with inherent wingshooting skills. My goodness, most guys I see at the range don't even know how to hold a shotgun. In order to become proficient with a shotgun most intelligent shooters take lessons and practice what they are taught. The "fight or flight" is an instinct we are born with.

What he is attempting to allude to is considered reflex shooting. Good wingshooting is done in the subconscious with very little concious thought. Anxiety is a detriment to shooting in the subconscious, which is why many miss those easy shots on that prized bird are missed or completely fall apart in competition. Anxiety affects our ability to focus really well. Good focus allows good visual input into the brain.

Concious thought works great when you are only doing one thing, like working out a math problem but it sucks for wingshooting where multiple actions are needed to achieve a desired outcome.

The article mentions muscle memory. Muscles don't have memory. The brain tells the muscles what to do. All that information is stored in the brain.

The article talks about a side by side shotgun being the best for this reflexive shooting. If that were true you'd see international skeet shooters shooting side by side, but you don't. I find that pointing my index finger at the target along side an over/under shotgun to feel more natural.

I would argue we all have some barrel awareness, just like we are aware of the car driving next to us that veers into our lane. Shots with very little lead, we have more barrel awareness. Longer, faster shots, not so much. But we are always aware of where the barrels are pointing. It's just that our hard focus is on the target.

I could go on but suffice it to say, the author of the article has some homework to do with his wingshooting skills.

4. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Very True , most who write articles about shooting are poor shots themselves as they spend most of their time feeding us the BS they have been told !
    The Master Class Pro's who are at the Top of their game have a Natural Ability beyond the instructional awareness of how each shots presentation should
    be taken . The idea of everyone has this ability is , for money but , I do agree for personal enjoyment , advancing one's skills with instructions is a faster way
    of getting to the top of your ability . The pursuit is the fun part as you gain the awareness of how you have improved , there's a feeling of satisfaction
    you get , of yourself , when a problem shot becomes a routine piece of cake .

OneShotBandit and 5 stand like this.
  5. THEIRCOMMITED10

THEIRCOMMITED10 |Moderator Fishing|Call Sponsor| Sponsor Moderator

Great post :tu

6. rjones2306

rjones2306 Refuge Member

7. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

It’s all about judging distance and speed. Knowing what gap(lead) to put on your intended target. You’re not necessarily born with it. If it were instinctive, more folks would be accomplished at it.

8. Sunklands

Sunklands Elite Refuge Member

Same with shooting a rifle, scope or not. Anything past, “zero” and you’re gap shooting(unless you have a dope card and rangefinder), by judging wind, distance and trajectory. Kentucky windage, in my vocabulary.

THEIRCOMMITED10 likes this.
  9. THEIRCOMMITED10

THEIRCOMMITED10 |Moderator Fishing|Call Sponsor| Sponsor Moderator

This topic has always intrigued me . I’ve never had a lesson or never competed in clay competitions . However , I’ve played and got paid to play sports at some of the highest levels and never had true lessons so to speak so who knows . But I admire great shotgunning and wing shooters very highly that can teach the game .

I’ve “aimed” a shotgun with a front bead while shooting clays . Ones that I know the flight pattern and I can do really well like that . Not so much for dove duck goose pigeon and whatnot . I shoot best with no thought process and reflex movement . Unless they are fluttering when I think about or aim I miss . It truly seems backwards of what should really really happen when you don’t aim you hit more . Logically it’s hard to grasp but it’s true .

My best shots that are etched in my head over the years I’ve never consciously aimed . I’ve even bought those hi vis sights for low light and high visibility . I’ve never shot worse than when I had those sights on my shotgun .

Only thing I can attribute it too is that it distracts my eye away from the intended target and causes me to miss . I currently don’t have a front bead or mid bead on my favorite shotgun . I’ve put a very small WD40 straw in my threads that is decent option I like too . But overall , the less shiny or bright objects to pull my eyes attention away from it’s intended target the better off I am for ducks .

Billy Bob likes this.
  10. Ravenanme

Ravenanme Elite Refuge Member

Same BS just from a different keyboard !
    Shooting a flying object is no different that one who can Tight-rope , they naturally have the ability to see / feel the lead , those who have this Gift
    usually are well balanced people with their agility ! Surely it has something to do with the Brains signal from the eye's and its ability to relay it to
    the parts of the body with precision . This subject has made a lot of Non-shooters a lot of money . Either you have it ...OR... you don't .

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020