Interesting article

JHS76

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Whole areas of Old Hickory would be shut down. The blinds and the requirement to hunt from a blind or blind site on Units 1 and 2 keep the lake available to hunt. Do away with them and the lake lot owners and marina owners will shut it all down eventually.

Talking about other public areas to hunt. If you live in the middle of the state around nashville your public duck spots are blinds or blind sites. Have to go way up OH to get to the freelance areas. Can't speak affirmatively on Priest but think there are blinds there too.
Curious as to how and why hunting would be shut down if they didn't happen to have blinds? As long as one is legal distance from occupied dwelling and away from safety zone why would it not be allowed?

smashdn

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Dude, other than the state shouldn't spend 30k+ on a duck blind anywhere east of KY Lake, y'all can do whatever works best for the folks who hunt there.
Bill, when you post or talk I listen. But this seems a bit short-sided. I absolutely agree the state shouldn't spend money on blinds that were being built and maintained by the drawn hunters free of charge to the state.

It would be nice if there was leeway to have different drawing rules for the different areas. Blind buying and selling wasn't a problem this way but the "cure" was administered here too. The cure has been worse than the illness for sure.

My point is the assigned spot is probably integral to keeping hunting on the lake. My opinion is if it were to go freelance, there would be more complaints from home owners. Situation now is the homeowners don't have much gripe because the blind site has been there and historically been hunted and vetted from a distance and safety standpoint by TWRA.

If that were to go away the homeowners and marina owners have more clout than a handful of duck hunters.

Bill, the situation you bring up about the gentleman not able to conveniently access public ground spots to hunt is exactly what happens over here. The difference is just the lower numbers of ducks we expect to be around.

There's a guy at Reelfoot who scoffs at Camden just as there is a guy at Camden who scoffs at OH or Priest. Just because it isn't a premier duck spot in a premier area doesn't mean it isn't important to the hunters who use it.

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Bill, when you post or talk I listen. But this seems a bit short-sided. I absolutely agree the state shouldn't spend money on blinds that were being built and maintained by the drawn hunters free of charge to the state.

It would be nice if there was leeway to have different drawing rules for the different areas. Blind buying and selling wasn't a problem this way but the "cure" was administered here too. The cure has been worse than the illness for sure.

My point is the assigned spot is probably integral to keeping hunting on the lake. My opinion is if it were to go freelance, there would be more complaints from home owners. Situation now is the homeowners don't have much gripe because the blind site has been there and historically been hunted and vetted from a distance and safety standpoint by TWRA.

If that were to go away the homeowners and marina owners have more clout than a handful of duck hunters.

Bill, the situation you bring up about the gentleman not able to conveniently access public ground spots to hunt is exactly what happens over here. The difference is just the lower numbers of ducks we expect to be around.

There's a guy at Reelfoot who scoffs at Camden just as there is a guy at Camden who scoffs at OH or Priest. Just because it isn't a premier duck spot in a premier area doesn't mean it isn't important to the hunters who use it.

I don't disagree with anything you said. First comes the species and habitat management. After that, manage an area for those most likely to use it...locals. And I don't consider myself local to any of them.

Just seems an all or nothing deal these days. In that case, my vote is make it all freelance. Every method comes with good and bad. At least freelance is fair and equitable for all.

JagwalCrush

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Both of the last two posts make good points. My opinion is that most people are gonna hunt what is close to them. I know there’s a handful that will venture out but something l read in another thread, the writer stated he was happy to hunt a tier II blind two or three times a year. That is taking away from local hunters that may have hunted that area their entire lives. I have stated before that I would rather have seen it all become freelance rather than it be done the way it has. You would definitely see who really wants to hunt then. Some have said that’s not fair to everyone either but we all are gonna have different opinions no matter what.

Small Bore Hunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I am an advocate of the tier 2 sites. I agree that it does take away from locals to any specific area because more hunters can apply for these sites. I understand both sides opinions. We are more fortunate in region one to have more duck hunting opportunities than the other regions. Tier 2 sites are only <10% of the total sites for the 22/23 season of which I think will be 449 tier ones. People complain about a tier 2 not being hunted every day and all day but they are ok with tier ones not being hunted. That line of thought would mean every tier one blind should be hunted all day every day with 8 men. That would maximize usage.

Wanderer

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Smallbore,

What is being complained about is that the best locations in the entire WMA system are being underutilized with the system.

You have made the argument if there were ducks the tier 2 blinds would be hunted more, same for the Tier 1 blinds and in most cases if the Tier 2's are not hunted does not necessarily equate to the adjoining Tier 1's increased success, conversely less productive in some cases.

Thanks, Will

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Smallbore,

What is being complained about is that the best locations in the entire WMA system are being underutilized with the system.

You have made the argument if there were ducks the tier 2 blinds would be hunted more, same for the Tier 1 blinds and in most cases if the Tier 2's are not hunted does not necessarily equate to the adjoining Tier 1's increased success, conversely less productive in some cases.

Thanks, Will

Yep, no matter one's leaning on the issue, it's not as simple as any of us make it out to be. That's why I've had a total change of heart. If the goal is equal opportunity for all duck hunters and ending the selling of blinds, all blinds should be removed, and all public hunting should be freelance with no blind materials or decoys left behind overnight.

Obviously this isn't necessarily the most effective way of killing ducks in each spot, but we all have the exact same opportunity when heading to the water. Let's bring real opportunity and equity to TN duck hunting.

Small Bore Hunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I agree with you Bill on removing the blinds for equal opportunities but that would almost bring back the Night Riders at Reelfoot.

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I agree with you Bill on removing the blinds for equal opportunities but that would almost bring back the Night Riders at Reelfoot.

Okay. Interestingly, that book is currently on my nightstand.

Latest posts