Interesting article

Small Bore Hunter

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
That’s how they hunted at Reelfoot years ago. The guide oared his boat and sometimes pulled two behind him. This was before they learned to put motors in them. I bet they had to leave early. A lot of the WMA’S in AR state you can launch boat at 2;00 AM but must set in boat in line till 4:00 AM. You also cannot pass another boat. Look at some of the YouTube boat races.

mallardhunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
The boat races you see on youtube were set in motion by the ARG&FC when they put the arbitrary can't-leave-the-launch-area-until-4:00-AM rule. A race needs a start time, and the G&FC gave them one! The races began and then the G&FC had to solve the problem they created. I hunted over there before there was any such rule. No boat race ever, unless two lads just wanted to. People put in and left when they wanted to, in a staggered fashion. You can pass a boat - as long as you abide by the rules of safe boating. I hunt over there every year and have for over 30 years. Game and Fish created problems trying to solve problems that didn't exist! The hole runners working for the guides were the early birds on the WMA. G&F outlawed the guides, then put the stupid 4:00 AM rule in. It's public. I can roar out at 4, get to my preferred hole and tree, you can come in at sunrise and choose to hunt the same tree.

smashdn

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I am an advocate of the tier 2 sites. I agree that it does take away from locals to any specific area because more hunters can apply for these sites.

What makes the Tier 2 idea desirable in your eyes? If you have previously mentioned your reasons I apologize as I can't navigate the whole thread easily on a phone with the new software update.

As an aside, I felt obligated to get a more fitting avatar before going forward in the discussion.

Small Bore Hunter

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I also hunt AR every year but private. I am thinking of trying a trip or two to a WMA to see for myself.

Small Bore Hunter

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
What makes the Tier 2 idea desirable in your eyes? If you have previously mentioned your reasons I apologize as I can't navigate the whole thread easily on a phone with the new software update.

As an aside, I felt obligated to get a more fitting avatar before going forward in the discussion.
1. Allows people across state to apply. I also know this hurts my chances of drawing.
2. This year you must hold a resident TN license to apply for a tier 1.
3. A non resident can apply for tier 2 I believe I am correct.
4. Hunter has either a 3 or 4 day hunt almost as a private owner that he does not have to worry about any interference.
5. Hunter has the use of a nice blind.
6. Multiple times to apply and to multiple sites and WMA’S.

JHS76

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
The boat races you see on youtube were set in motion by the ARG&FC when they put the arbitrary can't-leave-the-launch-area-until-4:00-AM rule. A race needs a start time, and the G&FC gave them one! The races began and then the G&FC had to solve the problem they created. I hunted over there before there was any such rule. No boat race ever, unless two lads just wanted to. People put in and left when they wanted to, in a staggered fashion. You can pass a boat - as long as you abide by the rules of safe boating. I hunt over there every year and have for over 30 years. Game and Fish created problems trying to solve problems that didn't exist! The hole runners working for the guides were the early birds on the WMA. G&F outlawed the guides, then put the stupid 4:00 AM rule in. It's public. I can roar out at 4, get to my preferred hole and tree, you can come in at sunrise and choose to hunt the same tree.
Much of the 4am rule has to do with getting people off the water to let the ducks rest.

They have the be off the water at 1pm(or noon depending on WMA) to keep people from riding the water and stirring up ducks. 4am is the time they came up with to have a time. If it was 12am you would still have boat races. If it was 12am you could get to your tree and someone could come in at 6:15 am and chose to hunt the same tree. If it was 2pm you'd have folks riding the woods all day long not giving the ducks a rest and they could get a tree at 4pm and still have someone share the same tree at LST.

I have no problem with the 4 am rule. It gives the woods a rest for 15 hours. As stated if it was 12 am or 10 pm, you'd still have races and you'd still have people coming in at LST sharing the same tree.

JHS76

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Bill, when you post or talk I listen. But this seems a bit short-sided. I absolutely agree the state shouldn't spend money on blinds that were being built and maintained by the drawn hunters free of charge to the state.

It would be nice if there was leeway to have different drawing rules for the different areas. Blind buying and selling wasn't a problem this way but the "cure" was administered here too. The cure has been worse than the illness for sure.

My point is the assigned spot is probably integral to keeping hunting on the lake. My opinion is if it were to go freelance, there would be more complaints from home owners. Situation now is the homeowners don't have much gripe because the blind site has been there and historically been hunted and vetted from a distance and safety standpoint by TWRA.

If that were to go away the homeowners and marina owners have more clout than a handful of duck hunters.

Bill, the situation you bring up about the gentleman not able to conveniently access public ground spots to hunt is exactly what happens over here. The difference is just the lower numbers of ducks we expect to be around.

There's a guy at Reelfoot who scoffs at Camden just as there is a guy at Camden who scoffs at OH or Priest. Just because it isn't a premier duck spot in a premier area doesn't mean it isn't important to the hunters who use it.
I still don't see how Old Hickory could be shut down duck hunting wise by home owners and marina owners if they removed blinds. Pickwick doesn't have any draw blinds. Never has. They have tons of homes on the lakes as well as marinas. One can still go on the lake and hunt their hearts out as long as they are a safe distance from houses, marianas, or recreational areas. You even have barge traffic to deal with there but still have plenty of opportunity to hunt.

Aunt Betty

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I don't disagree with anything you said. First comes the species and habitat management. After that, manage an area for those most likely to use it...locals. And I don't consider myself local to any of them.

Just seems an all or nothing deal these days. In that case, my vote is make it all freelance. Every method comes with good and bad. At least freelance is fair and equitable for all.
Big Lake got much friendlier when they burned all the blinds. They're still morning about it and adapting. It's taken years but them pontoon duck blinds are gaining popularity because they burned the comfort down. About half them pontoon blinds were built to protest the loss of the permanent blinds.

Aunt Betty

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
That’s how they hunted at Reelfoot years ago. The guide oared his boat and sometimes pulled two behind him. This was before they learned to put motors in them. I bet they had to leave early. A lot of the WMA’S in AR state you can launch boat at 2;00 AM but must set in boat in line till 4:00 AM. You also cannot pass another boat. Look at some of the YouTube boat races.
That's changed where I go.
There was a fatal accident. They put the wma on "high" enforcement..each day a gw shows up to direct the "race" he stands in front of your boat and says " you can go".
If caught passing you get banned for two years at Big Lake.

You can launch at 5 or 6 mile and not see a gw at 4 AM. Symmonds too.
Bodock and 7 mile they direct the race.
At 6 mile they cheat and beat us at 7 mile somehow. If I had a badge I'd end that.

Strange fact.
You can launch at old bodock and beat the crowd at 7mile to Charlie R in my boat.
Hehehe. :l
They're going to be soo going "how'd you do that?".

Last edited:

bill cooksey

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I'm sold, and it's time to take things to the next level. I want to draw for a few days exclusive use of some grouse woods in East TN and 300 acres of good turkey woods in Middle TN. And since that will be awesome, let's copy the European countries which have fishermen draw for a day on a "beat" so I can fish quality water without some meany cutting me off.

This just feels awesome.