Interesting article

Quackerattacker

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
I'm sold, and it's time to take things to the next level. I want to draw for a few days exclusive use of some grouse woods in East TN and 300 acres of good turkey woods in Middle TN. And since that will be awesome, let's copy the European countries which have fishermen draw for a day on a "beat" so I can fish quality water without some meany cutting me off.

This just feels awesome.
HAHAHA come try Trout fishing in Tellico one morning after they start stocking again....you have to bring your own rock to stand on!! The locals are just as friendly as the out-of-staters when it comes to sharing tail waters!

mallardhunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Much of the 4am rule has to do with getting people off the water to let the ducks rest.

They have the be off the water at 1pm(or noon depending on WMA) to keep people from riding the water and stirring up ducks. 4am is the time they came up with to have a time. If it was 12am you would still have boat races. If it was 12am you could get to your tree and someone could come in at 6:15 am and chose to hunt the same tree. If it was 2pm you'd have folks riding the woods all day long not giving the ducks a rest and they could get a tree at 4pm and still have someone share the same tree at LST.

I have no problem with the 4 am rule. It gives the woods a rest for 15 hours. As stated if it was 12 am or 10 pm, you'd still have races and you'd still have people coming in at LST sharing the same tree.
And if there was no start time there would be no boat races - or at least that's how it was before the 4AM rule was instituted. Ducks in the woods are really hard to run out. We've put in at 2 and 3 AM prior to the 4AM rule and never saw a duck get up and fly more than a few yards before settling back down. We witnessed rafts of ducks simply swimming far enough off to let the boat pass then coming right back together. It's different during daylight hours and different in fields that I've hunted - where a slammed car door could spook the whole field into leaving. I've offered to take any ARG&F commissioner or officer out at 2 AM to see for themselves that you just about can't run the ducks out of those woods at night. If there was no start time, and there didn't use to be one, you have one or two boats leave early, but the majority of the hunters didn't show up until after 4, more like 5 AM - and it was staggered launches, much like a modern bass tournament ooze off, instead of a blast off. You are right in that whatever time is set is the race start time. Remove the start time and remove the race.

Wanderer

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Get ready Arkansas will see the immediate benefits on relieving pressure on WMAs that the new Tier 2 quota system has provided to some of the most heavily hunted locations in TN and will soon adopt the "TN System" like TN did when they adopted the "MO System" for Bogota and Thorny!

Just Kidding don't get too twisted! Lol

Will

Last edited:

Aunt Betty

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
And if there was no start time there would be no boat races - or at least that's how it was before the 4AM rule was instituted. Ducks in the woods are really hard to run out. We've put in at 2 and 3 AM prior to the 4AM rule and never saw a duck get up and fly more than a few yards before settling back down. We witnessed rafts of ducks simply swimming far enough off to let the boat pass then coming right back together. It's different during daylight hours and different in fields that I've hunted - where a slammed car door could spook the whole field into leaving. I've offered to take any ARG&F commissioner or officer out at 2 AM to see for themselves that you just about can't run the ducks out of those woods at night. If there was no start time, and there didn't use to be one, you have one or two boats leave early, but the majority of the hunters didn't show up until after 4, more like 5 AM - and it was staggered launches, much like a modern bass tournament ooze off, instead of a blast off. You are right in that whatever time is set is the race start time. Remove the start time and remove the race.
Oh yeah you reminded me. This season I could have caught ducks by hand at 4 am. I'd pull up on one and damn near run over it. They're not that smart in the dark for sure.
Could have netted them easy.

JHS76

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
So what would you suggest? An hour after sunset launch time? There would still be races but at a much smaller magnitude.

mallardhunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
So what would you suggest? An hour after sunset launch time? There would still be races but at a much smaller magnitude.
Well, in spite of what you may think, or imagine, from personal experience, before there was a 4AM start time, THERE WERE NO BOAT RACES. Hunted there before the 4AM rule was implemented, camped in a tent at the ramp, so I base what I say on actual, real-life experience and knowledge, not some made up thinking. So, I would suggest one could enter the WMA after midnight. Keep the no boat traffic rule from 1:00 PM until the next day - at midnight. It used to work quite well. Again, THERE WERE NO BOAT RACES. Can't make it any clearer.

mallardhunter

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah you reminded me. This season I could have caught ducks by hand at 4 am. I'd pull up on one and damn near run over it. They're not that smart in the dark for sure.
Could have netted them easy.
There may or may not have been a boat paddle assault early one morning. A friend (whose name I forget) told me about it. Keyboard duck hunters don't get it, as they have never witnessed it.

JHS76

Senior Refuge Member
Reaction score
Well, in spite of what you may think, or imagine, from personal experience, before there was a 4AM start time, THERE WERE NO BOAT RACES. Hunted there before the 4AM rule was implemented, camped in a tent at the ramp, so I base what I say on actual, real-life experience and knowledge, not some made up thinking. So, I would suggest one could enter the WMA after midnight. Keep the no boat traffic rule from 1:00 PM until the next day - at midnight. It used to work quite well. Again, THERE WERE NO BOAT RACES. Can't make it any clearer.
I've spent many a cold camp fire burning night sleeping in a hole for what I thought was a nice chunk of money. However now a days I like my sleep and warm bed and wouldn't do it for less than two fitty. I would probably only do it 2 to 3 times a year for that.

There are still a few non AGFC WMA's out there that do not have the 4 am rule. There are a few of the hardcorers that hold the hole all day and night. (There is a handful that hold spots at Greer's Ferry believe it or not) . If you say 12 am than 12 am it is. I bet you will still have a small handful racing to the hole at 12 am. Keyboard duck hunter or not, I'd bet a crispy $100 bill some will race one another at midnight.