Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Interesting Snow Goose nesting article

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by KEN, May 24, 2019.

1. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

http://www.northlandoutdoors.com/20...il&utm_term=0_d2e7ee9f21-16dfbdde56-233769565

2. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

This is also from up there. Doesn't sound like hunters are making any difference in the population.....

Large amounts of money are spent each year to control overabundant species that imperil biodiversity and ecosystem functioning across the globe. Lesser Snow Geese (Anser caerulescens caerulescens) are emblematic of this issue, as their overabundance has affected a whole suite of plant, insect, and bird communities via a trophic cascade that managers have attempted to stop before it spreads further across the North American (sub)Arctic. To achieve this goal, liberalized harvest measures designed to decrease Lesser Snow Goose survival and abundance were implemented almost 2 decades ago. Our previous quantitative assessment of management effectiveness indicated that the growing Lesser Snow Goose population quickly overwhelmed a satiated hunter population despite liberalized harvest regulations, eventually reducing the fraction of Lesser Snow Geese being harvested each year. Consistent with the philosophy of adaptive resource management, we apply improved methods to additional years of monitoring data to evaluate the ongoing impact of harvest conservation efforts on Lesser Snow Goose harvest rates. Our previous results suggested little effect of liberalized harvest regulations on harvest rates, but our new findings suggest even less of an impact. Harvest rates have recently stabilized at ~3%, the lowest levels observed over the last 48 yr of our study. Barring adverse effects of environmental change on natural mortality or reproductive success, additional measures will need to be taken to reduce Lesser Snow Goose overabundance and their ecosystem damage.

Neck Collar likes this.
  3. backwater1

backwater1 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Where did you pull that paragraph from? Its not out of the article you linked?

4. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

Last edited: May 24, 2019
  5. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

Basically the cheapest alternative is to limit recruitment by destroying nests for a few years to reduce the population. Eggs are easier to locate and destroy versus what has been tried since conservation season with hunters has not made a dent in population.

6. hunting1

hunting1 Senior Refuge Member

Too bad there is the potential to abuse the electronic caller in the eyes of management and enforcement when they restrict it's use and set dates of use to coincide with end of seasons on other species. Might be controversial to some and the overall harvest by liberalizing it's use would still probably not make a significant difference to a population numbering in the millions but I'd welcome it especially on foggy days and all those days snows start acting uneasy fluttering out at 100 yds.

7. Juvie Juke Box

Juvie Juke Box Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

I can't see e-caller use in the fall being legalized in the lower 48(yes, I'm fully aware one state has a time frame they can in the fall), stipulations and enforcement would be a nightmare for Conservation Officers. I guess you could just go ahead and use it but as quite a few guys have found out the feds really don't like that.

8. hunting1

hunting1 Senior Refuge Member

That was my point about enforcement being difficult. It wouldn't be if there were no need to curb the practices of those who would use it outside the intended sole purpose for snow geese only. As far as the suggestion to ignore the law, I'm not about to do that. And wouldn't necessarily need to be extended into the fall. There are plenty of hunting opportunities after the first of the year. With weather patterns turning milder in general in the last decade, I've seen many a day mid January in the 40''s with a few birds moving northern MO and Ks. Again, the concern here is population control. As I've stated, use of an ecaller earlier likely wouldn't make much difference. But it might put a few more birds in the pot on an otherwise tough day decoying birds within range. I agree. Likely won't happen ever with the welfare and management of other species given human nature.....I guess...no one I hunt with has any problem following the rules.

9. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

The only way an e-caller would work earlier in the season is....If you are using an e-caller, you can't shoot anything other than snows. No darks or ducks.

10. 870

870 Senior Refuge Member

Here in Canada we can use the ecaller in the fall as long as you are using snow goose sounds only. No restrictions on decoys or species you can shoot. If there is a legal season open you can shoot it.

Our experience is that the ecaller blasting out snow goose talk really does not help shoot anything else other than snows,,, in fact it may actually turn off Canadas,,, and mouth calling seems to work better on specks as well.

KID CREOLE likes this.