Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Interesting Snow Goose nesting article

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by KEN, May 24, 2019.

1. swampstomper

swampstomper Senior Refuge Member

Truth right there. Ducks and dark geese don,t react to e calls, they react to snow decoys. Here in Tx pintails will swarm a snow spread e caller or not. Our specks separate from snows by late January and won,t react to a spread with an e caller. There's limits on darks and ducks and saying e callers are going affect them adversely is a weak argument.

Legalizing e callers during regular season may not help north of Arkansas but you can bet it would from there south. There,d be a huge increase in harvest numbers. As it is now the bulk of mid-continent snows are only being hunted in Canada in the fall and in the spring CO.

2. CNWD

CNWD Senior Refuge Member

3. dvegas

dvegas Senior Refuge Member

This is never going to happen. Not only would it be a huge logistical pia the courts would stop it before it ever got off the ground.

4. Drundel

Drundel Elite Refuge Member

I don't care about specs and would love to see e-caller opened up in Texas during the fall.

5. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

For Treaty people, they can harvest eggs. but the real problem is where snow geese nest is inaccessible by and large. Huge cost to go and harvest eggs.

6. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

I know it is a big cost, but what is the tundra worth. To date, not viewed critically enough or worth enough to go to drastic measures and maybe if 3/4 of snow goose population dies off nobody cares but hunters as numbers way above LTA. Nothing else is reducing population but in the end mother nature wins.

7. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

Well, to get to where most of the snow geese nest you would have to take a helicopter there. When dealing with thousands and thousands of eggs how can one helicopter with a couple people make a difference? Trust me, I have seen and flown over part of their nesting grounds in the Hudson Bay Lowlands.

From I heard if just one goosling survives from a pair of nesting Snow Geese in 10 years, it is enough to maintain the population.

8. livtohunt1on1

livtohunt1on1 Senior Refuge Member

That quote alone is crazy to think about...

Allan likes this.
  9. 870

870 Senior Refuge Member

The math works if the pair lives to 20 years old,,, not sure what the average life expectancy of a snow goose is but it certainly isn't unheard of for snows to live past 20 years.

10. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

5 years or less, will spray nests using drones and likely drones will be flying gps coordinates and will recognize and spray nests based on AI. Helicopter flight - two or three guys and 10-20 drones for 3 - 4 weeks and my guess could cover a lot of nests.