Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Interesting Snow Goose nesting article

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by KEN, May 24, 2019.

1. dvegas

dvegas Senior Refuge Member

You do realize you would have to cover millions of square miles...the majority of which have no infrastructure anywhere close. I don’t think you get how big the arctic truly is.

2. CNWD

CNWD Senior Refuge Member

The other factor is having right weather and conditions to fly in. Having such favorable conditions do not happen that often up there.

3. CA Birdman

CA Birdman Elite Refuge Member

I know how big the artic is but there are solutions if anybody really valued the tundra and wanted it protected and wanted to put $$$s behind their words. It would be long term solution that would be generation or two but they could come up with solution if they really wanted to. But in the end nothing will be done except stating the problem exists and continuing and at some point the ecosystem will fail due to the tundra destruction probably the same time global warming floods the coastal cities.

4. Juvie Juke Box

Juvie Juke Box Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

Game and Fish in SD (assume ND) oiled and drilled honker nests for years, so I don't see it being an issue. Even were doing it on WPA's

5. spaightlabs

spaightlabs Elite Refuge Member

I thought Nature could balance itself?

6. dvegas

Not anywhere close to the same thing. Sodak pulled that off because of a very influential ag industry. No planted crops in the arctic.

7. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

I believe egg harvesting and applying oil to eggs was looked at, but the costs were astronomical. Protecting the tundra is important, but investing millions of dollars to attempt a large scale depopulation program would be a tough sell, I mean where would this money come from? You would be looking at hundreds of square miles that the group would have to cover in a single year and you would have to do this year after year after year to truly have an impact. Last year many of the Snow Geese in the Hudson Bay Lowlands had a bust year, a late spring snow storm prevented most of the breeding efforts of these birds. It had very little impact on the overall population of the Lesser Snow Geese.

Here is the breeding map of Lesser Snow Geese. There are very few communities in the breeding area. So fuel and supplies would be an issue.
    https://birdsna.org/Species-Account/bna/species/snogoo/introduction

8. dvegas

Another preventing factor would be First Nations since the majority of oiling/nest destruction would be in Nunavut. They would never approve of this plan.

9. Pirogue

Pirogue Senior Refuge Member

Fly me up there with a couple .17 HMRs,a few hundred bricks of ammo,and a track machine. Turn me loose for a couple months.
    Wouldn't help the situation but Id have a hellofa time and boost my jewelry collection in the process.

P

10. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

Just go hunting up there. Shoot all the snow geese you want and then some .See my other post in this forum