Snow Goose Hunting Forum Sponsors

Interesting Snow Goose nesting article

Discussion in 'Snow Goose Hunting Forum' started by KEN, May 24, 2019.

1. possumfoot

possumfoot Elite Refuge Member

for a snow goose forum, the lack of understanding is impressive. yea, snows have a huge impact on the tundra IN AREAS THAT THEY NEST. there are a lot of light geese, but there is plenty of room for the population to expand even further if birds expanded traditional nesting areas. light goose numbers have plateaued and the tundra is still relatively healthy.

2. CNWD

CNWD Senior Refuge Member

I think it is hard for a lot of people to understand just how huge the range of the snow goose is. From the far west of Wrangle island to the Baffin Island the far east. The distance from east to west is ginormous. Just drawing a line across the globe it is 4,269 kms or 2,652 miles. Sure there is a lot of water between these two points but think about how much land that takes in also North to South. Not all that land is great nesting land I am sure.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  3. Juvie Juke Box

Juvie Juke Box Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

Clearly Understand that, but they also did it in a pretty shady way. I'm sure most hunters had no clue what they did. And do it on WPA's in my mind is pretty sick. I guess they accomplished their goal pretty well, local Canada goose numbers have taken a massive dive between them and the August/Sept 15 bird a day limits we had for ex amount of years.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2019
  4. Juvie Juke Box

Juvie Juke Box Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

Plus, if they move its not like that part of the tundra took a nuke to it. Eventually it'll rejuvenate itself. I honestly think the tundra being destroyed was probably a major concern when they opened the CO, but at this point is it even factual?(in the areas they currently nest in, I'm assuming to a degree). I'm not a habitat/game biologist so I'm not going to answer that but I'm sure someone could.

5. Neck Collar

Neck Collar Senior Refuge Member

Sure she can, as long as humans remove themselves from the equation...

GK1 and spaightlabs like this.
  6. Uncle Fuzzy

Uncle Fuzzy Refuge Member

How about send a couple "Puff the Magic Dragons" up there? There must be a bunch of them just sitting around, plus the boys could use the practice.