Interpretations of various passages - Not translations

bwurts

Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First my apologies for not being completely clear in a previous thread.

Why do different Christians interpret different passages differently -- for example John 6: 35- 71 - If Jesus is not being literal then why doesn't he say " hey I'm just talking symbol here - don't leave, come back - but instead he doubles down in John 6: 51

I have heard this is just a symbol and others say it is literal - Not looking for an answer about this passage necessarily just how do we as Christians conclude different meanings out of the same passage - do we have confirmation bias in what we hear or read? or what we want to hear and read

thank you all for the great conversation

Woodduck31

Elite Refuge Member
Reaction score
I was working with my son on the fifth wheel we bought for him and his family to live in while he works as a fly fishing guide in the summer. He has a year round business that requires some fairly routine woodworking. He's getting pretty good at it, but still a lot to learn. He was rebuilding the steps up to the master bedroom and was trying to figure out how to cut an angle on the end of the board so I just simply unlocked the blade on the table saw and tilted it to get the proper angle and cut the board. My 34 year old son was kind of stunned. He didn't even know the saw did that. Caleb gained a new understanding, the truth of the capability of the saw was always there, he just didn't know it yet.

A lot of our understanding of things including scripture will grow as we search for the Truth. Jesus said a lot of things in parables for the purpose of getting people to search for Truth. Our maturity level, our spiritual mind will reveal things as we search. "Let him who has ears, let him hear."

Confirmation bias, or what I usually call, proof texting, at least what I understand of what you are asking would be when you jump around scripture trying to prove "your" point, rather than letting God's Word speak.

We see the religious leaders of Jesus day trying to trap Him on a fairly continual basis. We are not far from that frame of mind when we try to prove why everyone else is wrong rather than help each other search for the Truth in God's Word.

God speaks to us through His Word. Approaching the Word honestly with a mind to learn rather than depending on others to tell us what things mean can go a long way to understanding.

While Caleb was rebuilding the steps in the camper I worked in the shop on other projects. At the end of the day after he had gone home I went out and checked on his work and to say the least it was pretty cobbled together, with ill fitting boards and gaps. He was reasonably satisfied with his work, but not happy and he had done his best. I spent a couple of hours that evening, refitting and doing a little bondo work to get things cleaned up, squared up and smooth and put a coat of paint over it. The next day when Caleb arrived he was happy with how the job turned out. He wasn't aware of the extent of the work I had done. Sometimes our efforts fall short, it's putting on Christ that makes us beautiful in God's Eyes.

bwurts

Refuge Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excellent post - in the end, God knows our heart - I do however think as you stated we should always look to follow God's will for us - don't stop learning